The United Evangelical Church was organized in 1848 and the original St. John’s church was built on the land donated by Morgan Johnson. In 1876, a new church was built on the same site and renamed St. John. In 1885, this building was struck by lightning and burned. In 1885, a new church was built and still stands, though renovated in 1948. The church is now St. John United Church of Christ. The cemetery directly east of the church building is the oldest part and people were buried chronologically as they died rather than in family plots. These stones are mostly in German and are eroded making them difficult to read; the oldest ones date from the 1850’s. East of the parsonage is the more recent part of the cemetery where the Mount Hope sign sits at the corner of Roselle and Algonquin Roads.
Prior to 1901 Mount Hope Cemetery was known as St. John’s Cemetery. To see a transcription of burials in this older section, paste the following into the address bar of Google: www.balibrary.org/cemeteries/314-highland
To see a transcription of burials in the modern part of Mount Hope Cemetery, paste the following into the address bar of Google: www.balibrary.org/cemeteries/315-highland2
To see photographs of the modern part of Mount Hope Cemetery, paste the follwing into the address bar of Google: www.flickr.com/photos/barringtonhistory/sets/72157605091434370