Monthly Archives: June 2012
Just south of the old State Bank of Palatine building at the southwest corner of Slade Street and Bothwell Street lies a parking lot…the former site of the Palatine Theatre. It was formerly known as Seip’s Auditorium. The front consists … Continue reading
Mary Jane was born in Oneida County, New York, daughter of Ezekiel & Adaline Cady. The family came to Deer Grove in 1837 where they owned a farm. In 1856, she married Homer Galpin. He was born in Massachusetts. He … Continue reading
Mary Meissner was the daughter of William and Mary Meissner who had a farm at Quentin & Baldwin Roads. She married Henry Wittenberg whose family had a farm at Quentin near Palatine Road. After their marriage they lived on the … Continue reading
Thomas Falls Wilson was born in Ireland in 1810, the son of Andrew Wilson and Jane Falls. The Wilson family came to the U. S. by 1820 and settled in Schenectady, New York. They had twelve children. Thomas came to … Continue reading
Henry Wolff owned the Clayson House from 1905 to 1945.
Heinrich Thies descendants enjoyed a huge reunion on the old homestead in Plum Grove in 1923. Minnie Thies and her husband had eleven children. They lived in Plum Grove. She died in 1896.
Joseph Slade was born in Vermont in 1825. His parents, John & Betsy Slade, came to Plum Grove in 1838 with their four childen. Mr. Slade had a set of carpenter’s tools and $10 when he reached Chicago. He took … Continue reading
The Harry Alten family owned a truck farm at what is now the Palatine Distribution and Processing Center of the U.S. Postal Service at 1300 East Northwest Highway. The 60 acre farm was bounded by the west side of Arlington … Continue reading