Prominent attorney and local leader Ralph Peck helped put together the individual plots of land that eventually became Deer Grove Forest Preserve. He was convicted in 1933 of embezzlement of funds from First National Bank of Palatine and sentenced to 18 months in Leavenworth prison. Courtesy of Paddock Publications.
The Palatine Athletic Club football team went undefeated in 1897 against Chicago’s best athletic clubs. It was coached by W. L. Smyser.
Club members are playing football at Washington Street and Smith Street. Only George Voss and one of the Hunnebergs are identified in the photo.
The Arthur T. McIntosh Co. was founded by Arthur McIntosh Sr. in 1907 in Chicago. McIntosh and his son, Arthur Jr., developed over 500 subdivisions and developments in the Chicago area. Soon after its founding McIntosh bought extensive pastures in the vicinity of 63rd and 83rd Streets from State Street west to Pulaski Avenue in Chicago. He subdivided more than 2,000 acres in the city before turning his attention to suburban property. South suburban Harvey was his first venture outside Chicago. After World War I ended he came to Palatine and liked its gentle rolling hills. He bought some land and developed it into his first subdivision here, Palatine Farms. He went on to add Palanois Park and Fairgrounds Park as well as other subdivisions adding up to over 3,000 acres around the village.
Arthur McIntosh established a reputation as a prestigious land developer with exclusive communities. He is best known for the development of Inverness. It started in 1926 when he bought Temple Farm, originally built by Ralph Atkinson, for a summer home for his family. He saw the possibility of developing a community and began buying more property. Over the next 20 years he purchased eleven farms and the Meadow Grove Country Club that eventually became the Inverness Golf Club. He bought dairy farms, grain farms, and a hog farm until he had a solid block of 1500 acres to built his community. The land reminded him of his ancestral home of Scotland and he named it after the capitol of the Scottish Highlands.
Arthur McIntosh wanted to preserve the natural landscape so he set strict standards for construction. No major roads were built into the community to give people privacy and to protect the natural setting. Houses followed the topography and were built on rises and were on one acre lots. The first homes were generally one story. No fences, no streetlights, no curbs were allowed. McIntosh planted thousands of trees. The first sale took place in 1939. Despite the Depression, houses sold for nine to twenty thousand dollars. The village of Inverness was incorporated in 1962. The four silos from McIntosh’s farm are now the village hall of Inverness.
Arthur Sr. died in 1955 and his sons Arthur Jr. and Gilbert continued the business until it was dissolved in 1985.
A partial list of subdivisions that Arthur T. McIntosh & Co. developed follows:
Addition to Lincoln Estates, Frankfort Township
Arlington Heights Farms
Ashland Avenue Addition, Harvey
Belmont Country Club Addition, Downers Grove
Chicago Avenue Farms, Palatine
Cicero Avenue Addition, Oak Forest
Crawford Countryside, Matteson
Deer Grove Farms Subdivision, Palatine Township
Deer Park Grove Farms, Palatine Township
Des Plaines Acres
Dixie Highway Addition, Markham
Dunham Street Subdivision, Downers Grove
Fairgrounds Subdivision, Palatine
Fairmont Heights, Westmont
Fairway Park Subdivision, Itasca
Falkirk of Inverness
Farmington on Long Grove Road, Kildeer
Ferry Road Farms, Naperville
First Addition to Arlington Heights Farms
Forest Lake Subdivision, Lake Zurich
Geneva Road Subdivision, Wheaton
Glen Ellyn Woods, Milton Township
Glenrise Estates, Milton Township
Glenview Countryside, Northfield Township
Hawthorne Hills, Olympia Fields
Helm’s Farm, Inverness
Hillside Addition to Barrington
Home Addition to Lombard
Kenilworth Highlands, Palatine
Lambert Road Farms, Glen Ellyn
Lincoln Meadows, Mokena
Lincolnwood Subdivision, New Lenox
Lombard Gardens Subdivision, Lombard
Lombard Heights Subdivision, Lombard
Lorraine Road Subdivision, Wheaton
Main Street Addition to Barrington
Maple Avenue Subdivision, Downers Grove
Meadow Grove Country Club, Palatine Township
Miller Woods, Steger
Naperville Highlands, Naperville
Northwest Acres Subdivision, Palatine
Northwest Highway Subdivision, Palatine
Northwest Meadows Subdivision, Mount Prospect
Northwoods, Winfield Township
Oak Meadows, Cuba Township
Ogden Poultry Estates, Lisle Township
Palanois Park Subdivision, Palatine
Palaridge Subdivision, Palatine
Palatine Estates Subdivision, Hoffman Estates
Palatine Farms Subdivision
Palatine Manor Subdivision, Palatine
Palatine Ridge Subdivision, Palatine
Park View Acres, Barrington
Pine Wood Subdivision, Olympia Fields
Pleasant Hills, Inverness
Plum Grove Farms, Palatine
Plum Grove Road Development, Palatine
Quintens Road Farms, Palatine
Rohlwing Road Acres, Palatine
Sauk Trail Farms, Steger
Southtown Farms, Harvey
State State Farms, Steger
Village of Inverness
Washington Highlands Subdivision, Palatine
Woodland Hills, Batavia
Myron Lytle was born in Malone, New York on February 28, 1826, to William Lytle and Rebecca Rich. Through his mother, Myron could trace his ancestry back to William Brewster of the Mayflower. The family came to Chicago via the Great Lakes when he was twelve years old. His father had a tavern on Milwaukee Avenue in Chicago. Myron came to Palatine when he was in his early twenties. He married Anna Bradwell of Palatine. Her father was a justice of the peace and a well-to-do farmer in Englishman’s Grove near Ela and Baldwin Roads. The couple had one child, Annie. Myron and Charles Lytle had rented a building in town and started a grocery store in 1856. Myron Lytle was the first mayor of Palatine when it incorporated in 1866. By the 1870’s he was a lumber dealer and also ran a grain elevator with a Mr. Andermann. Later in life he ran a poultry farm. He was known as a reliable breeder and dealer, especially in Rose Comb Leghorns and Javas, though he carried other breeds of chickens. His obituary said he was “a good citizen, an affectionate husband, a kind father and an honorable man.” He died in 1889 at the age of 63.
This lovely lady was the daughter of William & Mary Meissner. They settled here after their marriage but in 1861 moved to New Ulm, Minnesota, in an ox cart. Matilda was born there a year later. Because of Indian unrest and massacres they returned to Palatine and Matilda was raised on a farm on Quentin Road. She married Richard Foreman in 1883 and had five children. Her family lived on a farm at Dundee and Hicks Road until 1907 when they moved into town at Oak and Slade Streets. Her husband became ill and was sent to an asylum in Elgin. Matilda worked as a housekeeper and laundress to take care of herself. She died in 1947.
Photos courtesy of Vietta Mickus (granddaughter of Matilda Foreman)
Cora Foreman is Matilda’s daughter, and the sister of Ella Foreman Bedurske. Cora married William Mess. She was born in 1892 and lived to be 98 years old. William Mess served in World War I.
May is the third of Matilda’s daughters. She died at a young age. There was also a son, John.
These girls are dressed in the pigeon breasted style of the early 1900’s and have Gibson girl hairdos.
Matilda Foreman is the matriarch of this family of four generations of women. Her daughter, Ella Bedurske, is sitting to her left. Vietta Mickus, Ella’s daughter, is sitting on the grass holding her daughter, Petronelle Smith. A copy of this photo was given to us by Vietta along with many other family photos. Matilda died in 1947, not too long after this photo was taken.
Vietta Bedurske is on her lap. Bill Bedurske on the right in back. Lynn and Frances Foreman are two of the other children. From Genoa City. We’re missing one name here.
Charles S. Cutting was born in Vermont n 1854, the son of Charles A. Cutting & Laura Averill. In 1863, the Cutting family moved to Minnesota and then to Salem, Oregon. Charles attended the University of Oregon though he did not graduate. He worked at a newspaper for about a year and a half before coming to Palatine in 1874. He taught at the Wood Street School for a year and then became principal of the school. He started a two year high school in the grammar school building, then the only high school between Jefferson Park (now Chicago) and Woodstock. In 1876, he married Annie Lytle. Though he continued as principal he began studying law under Judge Josiah Knickerbocker. In 1880 he was admitted to the bar and went into law practice with Rollin Williamson of Palatine. In 1887, he was elected to the Cook County Board of Education and held the office of Master of the Chancery to the Circuit Court of Cook County. In 1895, the Cuttings moved to Austin, Illinois, now a part of Chicago. From 1899 to 1913, Cutting held the position of Judge of the Probate Court. He did not run again in 1913 and became a part of the law firm of Cutting, Moore, & Sidley. The Cuttings had one son, Robert Myron. Robert became a lawyer and an automobile manufacturer. Charles Cutting belonged to numerous civic and social organizations and served in many official capacities. He was a Knight Templar, Oddfellow and 32nd degree Mason. He also taught at Kent College of Law. He always remained interested in Palatine and especially in the high school he founded. He gave many gifts to the school’s library. The auditorium, now Cutting Hall Theater, was named after him. He often visited Palatine and spoke here on many civic occasions. He died on April 17, 1936, at age 82.
Samuel Cherry was born in Illinois, in 1847. He was the son of Stephen Cherry from New York and Maria Harris of Canada. A large family, they came here from Ohio. Samuel enlisted in the 113th Illinois Infantry on September 28, 1864. He was mustered out on June 20, 1865 at Memphis, Tennessee. In 1869 he married Augusta McCain of Palatine. Her parents, Thomas & Mariette McCain, are buried in Hillside Cemetery. Augusta lived from 1853 to 1928. She had one daughter with Samuel, named Helen, who was born in 1870. At this time Samuel was a sailor on the Great Lakes with his brother, Charles, who was a ship’s captain. In 1880, Samuel was living alone with his parents in Belvidere, Nebraska. In 1898, he was back in Illinois and married Lucy Cross. In the 1900 census, they are living in Chicago with a year old daughter named Elois. He worked as a janitor. According to the 1910 census, the three of them were in Casco Twp., Michigan. He is 63 years old by this time and Lucy is 43. Samuel Cherry died in South Haven, Michigan October 14, 1912. Lucy died in 1930.
This is Ella and Gus’s wedding picture. Ella grew up on the Foreman farm at Hicks and Dundee Roads. Her parents were Matilda and Richard Foreman. Gus came from the Wauconda area and was a carpenter. He came down here to work and was hired to build a barn on the Foreman farm right about where Walgreen’s is now. That’s how he met Ella and married her. They stayed in Palatine Township and raised a family of their own. Their daughter, Vietta Mickus, generously gave us copies of this and many other family photos from four generations.