The Fireman’s Memorial at Brockway Street and Slade Street was formerly occupied by the massive three story Battermann’s Brick Block. One of the little stores in the Brick Block was a market run by C. S. Steere. He sold meats, poultry, etc. In the old days merchants often allowed their customers to purchase goods on credit. In 1906 Mr. Steere sent a note to all his customers who owed him money. He was very disappointed in the what the mailman brought him. Only ten percent of his customers paid up on their accounts. He then abruptly closed up his shop and moved the business back to his old home in Downers Grove.