Area Chronology

The following are events prior to 1901 that have been mentioned in the Daily Herald newspaper relating to the exploration and settlement of our area, region, etc.
At the end of each event is the date, page and column number of the Daily Herald issue that mentioned the event.
More information can be found by examining microfilm at the Palatine Public Library or Arlington Heights Memorial Library or subscribing to newspaperarchive.com.
A lot of these items are snippets that appeared in a column “The Weekly Historian” circa 1907-1908.
The collection is from David Hammer’s Daily Herald Index project.

8000 B.C.
receding glaciers mark many roads in area 3-29-1946 9:5
1040 A.D.
Leif Erickson’s Norsemen may have built stone tower at Newport, R.I. in 1040 A.D. 1-5-1945 8:7
1492 A.D.
Christopher Columbus discovered America in 1492, 10-25-1907 7:3, 10-8-1967 RR 1:1
Illinois chain of title begins with Spanish in 1492, 4-24-1968 HSH 3:2
1493 A.D.
Columbus sailed from Cadiz on second expedition to America in 1493, 10-11-1907 2:6
Columbus discovered Puerto Rico in 1493, 10-8-1967 RR 1:1
1494 A.D.
Columbus discovered Jamaica in 1494, 5-15-1908 6:7
1496 A.D.
Bartholomew Columbus laid foundation of San Domingo in 1496, 8-14-1908 6:7
1497 A.D.
Amerigo Vespucci believed to have landed in Honduras in 1497, 1-13-1939 10:5
1498 A.D.
Columbus discovered Trinidad in 1498, 8-16-1907 6:7
Columbus discovered Virgin Islands in 1498, 10-8-1967 RR 1:1
1500 A.D.
Columbus discovered South America in 1500, 10-8-1967 RR 1:1
1504 A.D.
Columbus took final leave of New World and sailed for Spain in 1504, 9-27-1907 2:7
1512 A.D.
Juan Ponce de Leon discovered what is now Florida in 1512, 4-3-1923 11:3
1513 A.D.
Vasco de Nunez Balboa discovered the Pacific Ocean in 1513, 10-11-1907 2:6
1515 A.D.
Argentina discovered by the Spaniards in 1515, 8-14-1908 6:7
1519 A.D.
Magellan started his voyage of exploration in 1519, 8-23-1907 2:7
1520 A.D.
Hernando Cortes brought small pox to the western hemisphere in 1520, 6-18-1937 2:5
1521 A.D.
City of Mexico taken by Cortez in 1521, 9-13-1907 2:7
1522 A.D.
Magellan’s crew completed circumnavigation of the world in 1522, 9-20-1907 2:7
1535 A.D.
Jacques Cartier arrived at Montreal in 1535, 10-18-1907 2:7
1540 A.D.
Hernando de Alarcon discovered Colorado River in 1540, 10-18-1907 2:7
Jacques Cartier sowed cabbage seeds in America in 1540, 5-31-1946 16:3
1544 A.D.
Valparaiso, Chili founded by Pedro de Valdivia in 1544, 9-20-1907 2:7
1547 A.D.
clover brought to West Indies by Spanish explorers in 1547, 9-15-1905 15:5
1565 A.D.
Mendez, Spanish conquistador of Florida, murdered 200 shipwrecked French 10-11-1907 2:6
Spanish explorers landed at St. Augustine, Florida in 1565, 8-19-1965 89:7
1584 A.D.
Sir Walter Raleigh landed on island of Wocokon and named the country Virginia in 1584, 7-26-1907 2:7
1600 A.D.
Indian and the Northwest, 115-page book contains 10 maps showing tribe locations back to 1600, 4-13-1901 8:2
1607 A.D.
first settlers from England landed in Maine in 1607, 8-23-1907 2:7
1608 A.D.
Capt. John Smith elected president of Virginia colony in 1608, 9-20-1907 2:7
1609 A.D.
Henry Hudson arrived in New York Bay in 1609, 9-20-1907 2:7
1610 A.D.
Samuel de Champlain defeats Iroquois at mouth of Richelieu River in 1610, 7-3-1908 6:7
1612 A.D.
Champlain became governor of Canada in 1612, 11-1-1907 2:6
1614 A.D.
Dutch erected blockhouse near present site of Albany, N.Y. in 1614, 12-27-1907 14:2
1615 A.D.
Champlain visited Georgian Bay in 1615, 1-11-1902 4:6
1619 A.D.
House of Burgesses, first popular assembly in America met at Jamestown, Va. in 1619, 8-16-1907 6:7
1620 A.D.
Pilgrim fathers landed at Plymouth Rock in 1620, 12-27-1907 14:2
1628 A.D.
John Endicott’s colony arrived at Salem, Mass. in 1628, 10-4-1907 2:7
1630 A.D.
Boston received its name in 1630, 10-4-1907 2:7
1631 A.D.
Roger Williams arrived in Boston from England in 1631, 2-21-1908 7:3
1634 A.D.
first settlement in Maryland at St. Mary’s in 1634, 4-10-1908 7:7
1639 A.D.
first written constitution in history: Connecticut in 1639, 1-31-1908 3:7
1642 A.D.
first commencement exercises of Harvard College in 1642, 8-23-1907 2:7
1643 A.D.
union of the New England colonies in 1643, 6-12-1908 6:7
1646 A.D.
first patent in America granted to Joseph Jenks in 1646, 6-19-1908 7:3
1650 A.D.
Long Parliament asserted its authority over American colonies in 1650, 10-18-1907 2:7
1651 A.D.
first school opened in New England for instruction of Indian children in 1651, 1-24-1908 6:7
1653 A.D.
New England colonists declare war against Niantick Indians in 1653, 10-4-1907 2:7
1664 A.D.
New Amsterdam surrendered to the English and became New York in 1664, 9-13-1907 2:7
French made first treaty with Iroquois in 1664, 10-11-1907 2:6
1666 A.D.
Father Jacques Marquette, French Jesuit missionary, went to Canada in 1666, 4-26-1935 17:7
first ships built in Canada launched at Quebec in 1666, 8-23-1907 2:7
1670 A.D.
Hudson’s Bay Co. formed in England in 1670, 5-15-1908 6:7
1673 A.D.
Father Jacques Marquette explored Mississippi River in 1673 with Louis Joliet 4-26-1935 17:7
early French explorers came to Chicago via the Great Lakes in 1673, 4-3-1936 5:1
Father Jacques Marquette and Louis Joliet probably first white men to reach Chicago 2-10-1939 CCH 1:4, 7-15-1949 17:1
Marquette’s expedition in 1673 considered the beginning of Illinois history 4-24-1968 HSH 3:2
artist’s rendition of early-day explorations of Joliet and Marquette on cover of 1968 Illinois Bell telephone directory for Roselle area, photograph 5-22-1968 RR 5:6
Marquette quoted in 1673: “we have seen nothing like this river…” (Mississippi) 5-31-1968 HSH 13:1
1675 A.D.
Bloody Brook massacre at Deerfield, Mass. in 1675, 10-4-1907 2:7
1676 A.D.
rebellion in Virginia ended by death of Nathaniel Bacon in 1676, 10-18-1907 2:7
1679 A.D.
Rene-Robert Cavelier de La Salle built Fort Creve Coeur on Peoria Lake in 1679, 1-1-1915 PE 1:5
1680 A.D.
Pennsylvania colonists met at Chester to organize the territory in 1680, 12-20-1907 11:2
1681 A.D.
La Salle visited Illinois region in 1681, 1-28-1949 17:1
1682 A.D.
La Salle began descent down Mississippi River in 1682, 2-21-1908 7:3
La Salle and Henry de Tonti built Fort St. Louis at Starved Rock in 1682, 1-1-1915 PE 1:5
1686 A.D.
England and France sign Neutrality Treaty for America in 1686, 11-29-1907 8:1
1690 A.D.
first American newspaper Publick Occurrences printed at Boston 10-11-1907 2:6
1692 A.D.
Martha Cory hanged at Salem for witchcraft in 1692, 10-11-1907 2:6
1698 A.D.
Father St. Cosme, while leading missionaries from Canada in 1698, saw buffalo a few miles below the mouth of the Des Plaines River 4-7-1968 RR 7:1
1700 A.D.
Lemoine D’Iberville took possession of Mississippi River for France in 1700, 1-31-1908 3:7
first white settlement in Illinois made at Tamaroa and Kaskaskia by the French in 1700, 1-1-1915 PE 1:5
1701 A.D.
Cadillac founded Detroit in 1701, 9-3-1943 19:5
1702 A.D.
French abandoned Illinois River as route from Canada to the Gulf in 1702, 6-25-1909 8:7
1706 A.D.
colonial assembly of North Carolina repealed Acts of Intolerance in 1706, 12-13-1907 2:7
1710 A.D.
expedition against the French sailed from Boston for Port Royal in 1710, 10-4-1907 2:7
1711 A.D.
British and colonial fleet sailed from Boston for conquest of Canada in 1711, 8-7-1908 10:7
1717 A.D.
Illinois colony annexed to Province of Louisiana in 1717, 1-1-1915 PE 1:5
1718 A.D.
Fort Chartres built near Kaskaskia in 1718, 1-1-1915 PE 1:5
1721 A.D.
first issue of newspaper New England Courant in 1721, 8-30-1907 6:7
1722 A.D.
New England colonies declare war against Indians in 1722, 8-7-1908 10:7
1725 A.D.
first issue of New York Gazzette, city’s first newspaper in 1725, 11-1-1907 2:6
1726 A.D.
pilgrims landed in 1726, 4-8-1970 IR 1:1
1727 A.D.
excavators find skeleton of 200 year old buffalo at Paddock Lake region 10-4-1927 8:4
1731 A.D.
first issue of South Carolina Gazette at Charleston in 1731, 1-24-1908 6:7
1732 A.D.
bicentennial postage stamps to go on sale; George Washington born in 1732, 1-1-1932 1:4
1736 A.D.
first newspaper printed in Virginia at Williamsburg in 1736, 8-23-1907 2:7
1743 A.D.
Elk Grove occupied by Potawatami in 1743, 2-23-1970 WH 2:5
1750 A.D.
George Washington married Martha Custis in 1750, 1-24-1908 6:7
1751 A.D.
first colonial assembly of Georgia met in 1751, 1-31-1908 3:7
1755 A.D.
exile of Acadians from Nova Scotia took place in 1755, 9-20-1907 2:7
1757 A.D.
French and Indians besieged Ft. William Henry, N.Y. in 1757, 8-16-1907 6:7
1759 A.D.
Gen James Wolfe landed troops at Quebec in 1759, 9-27-1907 2:7
1760 A.D.
Montreal capitulated to the British in 1760, 9-20-1907 2:7
1762 A.D.
St. John’s, Newfoundland retaken from French by the British in 1762, 10-4-1907 2:7
1763 A.D.
Pontiac defeated at Detroit in 1763, 6-25-1909 8:7
French and Indian War ended in 1763, 5-22-1968 HSH 7:1
1765 A.D.
French ceded lands in northern Illinois to English in 1765, 9-18-1958 CCH 1:3
1766 A.D.
Pitt advocated repeal of Stamp Act in Parliament in 1766, 1-31-1908 3:7
1768 A.D.
first court convened in Illinois at Fort Chartres in 1768, 1-1-1915 PE 1:5
1769 A.D.
Pontiac murdered at Cahokia in 1769, 6-25-1901 8:7
Miami Tribe was in area until 1769; Potawatomi Tribe was in area from 1769 to 1833, 1-28-1949 17:1
1770 A.D.
Pennsylvania adopted a state constitution in 1770, 8-2-1907 7:4
1774 A.D.
Mass. legislature dissolved by Royalist governor 10-11-1907 2:6
1775 A.D.
graves of two vets of War of 1776 at Elk Grove Cemetery: Eli Skinner and Aaron Miner, photograph of Miner tombstone 3-11-1949 17:2
1776 A.D.
Continental Congress adjourned to Baltimore on approach of British in 1776, 12-27-1907 14:2
1777 A.D.
British defeated Americans at Paoli, Pennsylvania in 1777, 10-4-1907 2:7
1778 A.D.
George Rogers Clark captured Fort Kaskaskia in 1778; stars and stripes first flown over Illinois 1-1-1915 PE 1:5
1779 A.D.
Illinois territory became Illinois County, Virginia in 1779, 1-1-1915 PE 1:5
Illinois Bell commissions painting “George Rogers Clark’s Conquest of the Illinois Country, 1779″, 7-15-1949 17:1, photographs 2-16-1968 RR 44:4, 6-5-1968 HSH 1:1
1780 A.D.
Benedict Arnold fled to British ship Vulture 10-11-1907 2:6
1781 A.D.
British evacuated Charleston in 1781, 12-27-1907 14:2
1782 A.D.
Congress accepted offer of Virginia’s western lands in 1782, 9-27-1907 2:7
1783 A.D.
Samuel Seeley taught first school in Illinois at New Design (now Monroe County) in 1783, 1-1-1915 PE 1:5
1784 A.D.
American Congress ratified treaty with Great Britain in 1784, 1-31-1908 3:7
1785 A.D.
Congress established the standard of the American dollar in 1785, 7-19-1907 2:7
Northwest Ordinance of 1785 mentioned 2-18-1960 64:3
1786 A.D.
Connecticut deeded western land to Congress in 1786, 9-27-1907 2:7
1787 A.D.
Lake County had 17 name changes between 1787 and 1839, 7-8-1965 RMH 8:2
Northwest Territory created in 1787, 4-24-1968 HSH 3:2
1788 A.D.
Congress made New York the capital city of U.S. in 1788, 9-27-1907 2:7
1789 A.D.
Alexander Hamilton became Sec. of Treasury in 1789, 9-27-1907 2:7
1790 A.D.
Illinois became St. Clair County of Northwest Territory in 1790, 1-1-1915 PE 1:5
1791 A.D.
Vermont adopted a constitution in 1791, 1-24-1908 6:7
1792 A.D.
City of Washington selected as U.S. capital in 1792, 7-17-1908 7:3
1793 A.D.
George Washington laid cornerstone of national capitol at Washington 10-4-1907 2:7
1794 A.D.
Boston’s first theater opened in 1794, 2-21-1908 7:3
1795 A.D.
hostilities between Americans and Indians concluded with Treaty of Greenville in 1795, 9-18-1958 CCH 1:3
1796 A.D.
Washington delivers his last address to Congress in 1796, 12-20-1907 11:2
1797 A.D.
weekly mail service established between U.S. and Canada in 1797, 1-31-1908 3:7
1800 A.D.
Jean Beaubien came to Chicago in 1800, was a trader with the Indians 2-16-1901 10:4
Illinois included in Indiana Territory in 1800, 1-1-1915 PE 1:5
1801 A.D.
John Marshall appointed Chief Justice of U.S. in 1801, 2-21-1908 7:3
1802 A.D.
Ohio admitted to Union by authority of Congress in 1802, 12-13-1907 2:7
1803 A.D.
Fort Dearborn constructed at Chicago in 1803, 1-1-1915 PE 1:5
Great Sauk Trail was traveled by soldiers coming from Detroit in 1803 to build Fort Dearborn, 3-12-1964 AHH 33:4
1804 A.D.
John Kinzie, first white family to settle on banks of Chicago River in 1804, 2-10-1939 CCH 1:4
U.S. land office established at Kaskaskia in 1804, 3-8-1968 56:2
1805 A.D.
Michigan Territory formed from part of Indiana in 1805, 1-31-1908 3:7
Fort Dearborn established in 1805, 4-26-1935 17:7
1806 A.D.
Lt. Pike sighted Colorado mountain that bears his name in 1806, 11-29-1907 8:1
1808 A.D.
Union Temperance Society formed in Saratoga, N.Y. in 1808; beginning of prohibition movement in U.S. 5-15-1908 6:7
1809 A.D.
Illinois, Wisconsin and part of Minnesota formed Illinois Territory in 1809, 1-1-1915 PE 1:5, 7-15-1949 17:1
1810 A.D.
first steamboat on western waters left Pittsburg for New Orleans in 1810, 11-29-1907 8:1
1811 A.D.
American ship Essex captured British packet Nocton in 1811, 12-27-1907 14:2
1812 A.D.
Colonel L. Peet, Wheeling, was veteran War of 1812, buried in Arlington Heights Cemetery 5-26-1922 1:3, 5-28-1926 1:3
Fort Dearborn massacre occurred August 12, 1812 at what is now 14th Street and the Illinois Central tracks 4-26-1935 17:7
Fort Dearborn massacre mentioned 5-26-1966 AHH 16:4
Fort Dearborn burned in 1812, 7-19-1968 HSH 5:4
1813 A.D.
American forces burned Canadian town of Niagara in 1813, 12-27-1907 14:2
1814 A.D.
University of Illinois library has newspapers dating back to 1814, 8-9-1956 25:6
1815 A.D.
Gen. Andrew Jackson defeated the British at the Battle of New Orleans in 1815, 3-27-1908 6:3
1816 A.D.
first grant of land from Indians to U.S. at Downers Grove, Lisle Township and York Township, 1816 Treaty of St. Louis, 1-21-1949 15:1
Fort Armstrong built at Rock Island in 1816 as protection against Sauk and Fox Indians 7-3-1968 RR 7:1
1817 A.D.
Abraham Lincoln’s family moved to Indiana in 1817, 4-6-1928 4:1
1818 A.D.
Illinois became a state in 1818, 1-1-1915 PE 1:5, 7-15-1949 17:1
Bloomingdale “Old Timers” picnic to have old fashioned 1818 beer stand 8-9-1968 RR 1:7
1819 A.D.
Illinois Office of Public Accounts created in 1819, 10-25-1907 12:6
Panic of 1819 mentioned 7-15-1981 13:2
1820 A.D.
Illinois Capitol moved to Vandalia in 1820, 1-1-1915 PE 1:5
1821 A.D.
descendant to show ancestor Mrs. Jane Wells’ antique kerosene table lamp used in Chicago in 1821, 4-25-1941 5:4
1822 A.D.
Alexander Beaubien born in Chicago in 1822, 2-16-1901 10:4
1823 A.D.
Fort Dearborn evacuated in 1823, 7-19-1968 HSH 5:4
1824 A.D.
pro-slavery forces lose vote in 1824 to make Illinois a pro-slavery state 2-6-1920 14:2
1825 A.D.
Joseph Duncan authored first free school law of Illinois in 1825, 3-31-1968 SH 7:1
1826 A.D.
Winnebago Indians established a ferry across Rock River about 1826, 4-5-1968 HSH 8:3
1827 A.D.
Illinois passed a law in 1827 defining public nuisances: leaving a carcass in the road, etc. 9-8-1939 11:4
1828 A.D.
first Methodist sermon to be preached in Chicago was in 1828 by Rev. Jesse Walker 10-9-1931 17:5
1829 A.D.
Joseph Ogee founded Dixon on the Rock River in 1829, 10-15-1926 6:5
Galena sent 3,000 pounds of lead by wagon to Fort Dearborn in August, 1829, the first wagon to pass between Mississippi River and Chicago 3-31-1968 SH 7:1
1830 A.D.
DuPage County settlers staked claims as early as 1830, 1-21-1949 15:1
Milwaukee Avenue steeped in history; path used by Indians, photographs, 1-30-1964 AHH 22:1; surveyed in 1830 by George C. Klehm 1-30-1964 AHH 22:3
1830 map of Chicago 3-18-1965 12:1
John Dixon, mail contractor, took over a ferry in 1830 at what later became Dixon, Ill. 4-5-1968 HSH 8:3
1830’s A.D.
Bloomingdale School dates to the early 1830’s 8-13-1964 RR 1:5
Rand Road named for early settler Socrates Rand; laid out in late 1830’s from Sand Ridge to mouth of Flint Creek at Fox River: Cook County Highways 10-29-1964 AHH 10:1
1831 A.D.
DuPage County to celebrate century mark at Naperville 5-15-1931 8:1
Cook County organized in 1831; early shifts in boundaries and proposals for change 1-28-1949 17:3
Des Plaines, Canal Port, Keepotaw, Naperville, Thornton Township incorporated within Cook County in 1831, 1-28-1949 17:3
John Carpenter founded Carpentersville in 1831 (actually Julius Angelo Carpenter) 11-20-1958 AHH 61:1
celebrating Cook County’s 137th anniversary: hunter’s venison stew, love apple (tomato) juice, fresh garden salad, corn bread, hand-churned butter, wild honey, wild strawberries and hand-ground coffee at the Sherman House, Chicago 1-14-1968 PE 8:2
1832 A.D.
Gen. Winfield Scott had Lake Street surveyed in 1832, 7-29-1932 DCR 1:5
Army Trail Road widened by U.S. Army “regulars” under command of Gen. Winfield Scott in 1832, 3-24-1966 AHH 12:6
Black Hawk fought Gen. Winfield Scott’s troops 3-24-1966 AHH 12:7
Army Trail Road: old Indian trail followed by Gen. Scott’s troops from Fort Dearborn to Beloit, Wis. 3-31-1968 SH 8:1
treaty with Potawatomi tribe cedes land south of Chicago between Lake Michigan and Illinois River October 10, 1832, 6-18-1970 EGH 21:1
Winslow Churchill was first settler in DuPage County in 1832, 6-19-1970 DCR 2:4
1833 A.D.
Chicago incorporated as a village 1-1-1915 PE 1:5
Joseph Barnes drove an ox-team from Vermont to Elk Grove in spring of 1833, 8-28-1931 8:4
Hezekiah Duncklee passed along Lake Street on September 3, 1833, on way to Addison Township eleven months after Scott’s army came through 2-4-1949 17:2
Henry, Lyman and Silas Meacham arrived from Rutland County, Vermont in 1833 and built a log cabin 4-15-1949 17:1
Mr. Sweet arrived at Wheeling in March 1833, selected a claim, built a cabin and sold his claim to George Strong in October 8-5-1949 17:1, 9-28-1961 S 74:1, 8-14-1969 AHH 34:1
Potawatomi Treaty of 1833: Indians make peace; Wheeling Township is settled 9-28-1961 S 74:1
early publication mentions deliveries in 1833 of produce from Sarah’s Grove to Chicago 10-15-1964 HH 4:1
Dr. Frederick Miner, Elk Grove, first doctor in the northwest suburbs was here in 1833, 9-12-1963 AHH 39:1; lived with sons in a tree bark roofed dwelling 1-7-1965 EGH 2:2
1834 A.D.
Leander Collins helped Dr. Frederick Miner build a log cabin in the Grove in 1834, description of cabin 4-3-1936 5:2
Mr. Shelby made a claim on the east side of The Grove in February, 1834, 4-3-1936 5:2
Mr. Fenton made a claim on the east side of Elk Grove in February, 1834, 4-3-1936 5:2
George Knowles, Caleb Lamb, Aaron Miner, Fred Page, Thomas Smith and John Whiting settled in Elk Grove in 1834, 4-3-1936 5:2, 1-7-1965 EGH 2:2
Dr. Frederick T. Miner stayed with Father Walker on the Des Plaines River in 1834, 4-3-1936 5:2, 3-11-1949 17:1
Mrs. Jos. Barnes, first woman settler, tells of trip to Elk Grove in 1834; five pioneers struggle to start new life here 3-11-1949 17:1
Mrs. Lyman Meacham died in 1834, 4-15-1949 17:1
Queen Bee School, Glendale Heights: most original school name in the area; no one knows its origin 130 years ago 7-30-1964 AHH 11:7
rare virgin prairie purchased by DuPage County Forest Preserve; 54.54 acres is part of original 160 acre homestead acquired from federal government in 1834 for $1.25 per acre by Winslow Churchill 1-5-1968 RR 2:1
from his cabin in 1834 Winslow Churchill could see an Indian village of 500 inhabitants 1-5-1968 RR 2:3
Preemption House, Naperville, tavern built in 1834, named for Preemption Act which permitted settlers to purchase land on which they had squatted 4-5-1968 HSH 8:3
Joseph Filkins staked his claim at Milwaukee Avenue and Dundee Road in 1834, 8-14-1969 AHH 34:1
Daniel Stanger migrated to Wheeling area in 1834 in search of followers for Evangelical United Brethren Church 8-14-1969 AHH 56:1
first white child born in Elk Grove Township in 1834: Anna Barnes 11-14-1969 EGH 1:3
1835 A.D.
Milwaukee Avenue followed an Indian trail, became a mail and stagecoach route; was surveyed under direction of the war department in 1835 and is on record at Washington D.C. 9-3-1926 23:3, 1-28-1949 17:2, 3-24-1966 AHH 12:5, 8-14-1969 AHH 34:1
John Allen, John Bowe, Joseph Converse, Asa Davis, the Draper family, Ashbel Miner, Mark Morse, Horace Rice and Silas Wheeler settled in Elk Grove in 1835, 4-3-1936 5:2
Thomas Bradwell settled in Wheeling Township in 1835, 1-28-1949 17:1
18 log cabins were built in Wheeling in 1835, 8-5-1949 17:2
Trumbull Kent, first settler in Schaumburg Township, Section 8; arriving in 1835, 3-24-1950 15:1
Wheeling was fifteen years old in 1850, 7-21-1950 17:1
Wm. Royal appointed in 1835 to Fox River Mission 4-23-1953 AHH 23:4
George Ela took certain sections of Deer Grove for his own about 1835, 7-7-1955 PE 26:2, 6-30-1966 AHH 85:4
first white child Julia Dunkle born in 1835 in what became Wood Dale 4-21-1968 RR 5:6
1836 A.D.
Rand Road laid out from Sand Ridge, Jefferson Township in 1836; said to have been an old military trail leading from Chicago to Fort Atkinson, Wis.; later used as a stageline and postroute; surveyed under direction of the war department and on record at Washington 9-3-1926 23:3, 1-28-1949 17:2
find walnut table made in Palatine in 1836, 8-12-1930 4:6
pioneer days of 1836 told by Methodist circuit rider Washington Wilcox 3-20-1931 8:1
Galena & Chicago Union Railroad received charter in 1836, 1-24-1936 4:5, 2-18-1949 12:5,6
population of Chicago was 3500 in 1836 as the last Indians left 2-10-1939 CCH 1:4
Indians ousted from DuPage County in 1836, 1-21-1949 15:1
William Hopps, Wheeling Township, acquitted of killing his wife on plea of insanity in 1836, 1-28-1949 17:1
Wheeling post office established in 1836 at Filkins Tavern, Milwaukee Avenue and Dundee Road with Joseph Filkins postmaster, photograph 1-28-1949 17:2, 8-14-1969 AHH 34:1
William Dunton arrived at Arlington Heights from Oswego, N.Y. in 1836, 4-22-1949 17:1
final removal of all Indians to west of the Mississippi River occurred in 1836, 7-15-1949 17:1
three possible dates for the beginning of Arlington Heights: 1836, 1837 and 1845, 8-3-1961 AHH 1:8
Rand Road named for Socrates Rand; laid out in 1836, 3-24-1966 AHH 12:5
stonecutter Asa Dunton arrived from New York in 1836 with sons William and James 8-21-1968 AHH 2:1
1837 A.D.
Illinois capitol moved to Springfield 1-1-1915 PE 1:5
City of Chicago received a charter 1-1-1915 PE 1:5
Mrs. James Vallette, Naperville, first white child in DuPage County dies; born 1837, 6-7-1929 DCR 1:2
Panic of 1837 mentioned 1-24-1936 4:5
Wheeling Township surveyed in 1837, 1-28-1949 17:1
Abner Clark settled in Bloomingdale in 1837, horse dealer and hotel proprietor 4-15-1949 17:2
log school house one mile north of Wheeling described in 1837: 14 feet square, with puncheon floor, shake roof, no ceiling, chinked but not plastered 4-23-1953 AHH 23:6
Chicago’s motto: “A city set in a garden” (1837) 3-18-1965 12:7
Charles Daniels and Russell Wheeler operated a store in Wheeling in 1837, 8-14-1969 AHH 34:1
North Northfield United Methodist Church organized in 1837, 8-14-1969 AHH 56:1
1838 A.D.
first white child born in Palatine Township, Clarinda Cady is ninety years old 8-17-1928 PE 1:3
First Methodist Church, Arlington Heights, acquired 1st pastor in 1838, 6-3-1949 15:1
Orestin Shephard was Wheeling’s first blacksmith, 1838, 8-5-1949 17:3, 8-14-1969 AHH 34:1, 41:1
Sunderlage, Meyer, Greve and Dammerman families came from Germany and settled in Wildcat’s Grove in northwestern Schaumburg Township in 1838, 3-24-1950 15:1
Elgin Circuit formed in 1838, 4-23-1953 AHH 23:5
great revival meeting was held in 1838 at Poplar Creek 4-23-1953 AHH 23:5
Palatine Historical Society to view old records of Palatine at Chicago Historical Society including a Kirchenbuch from 1838-1839, 2-21-1963 PE 7:6
Mrs. Harris Webster’s description of an 1838 impromptu dance 6-30-1966 AHH 98:4
1839 A.D.
colorful costumes depict DuPage County 100 years ago in Wheaton ceremony, photograph 2-10-1939 RR 1:2
State Road laid out by an act of the legislature in 1839, 1-28-1949 17:2, 9-20-1967 AHH 48:2
Dr. Frederick Miner, Elk Grove, led wolf hunt at Plum Grove in 1839; no wolves shot; Plum Grove was an Indian burial ground 6-2-1955 AHH 1:1
Libertyville picked as Lake County seat in 1839, 1-30-1964 AHH 22:1
the first important shipment of grain from Chicago was taken by the brig Osceola in 1839, illustration 10-25-1968 EGH 6:5
1840 A.D.
Thomas Bradwell petitioned for a road in 1840 later named Old McHenry Road 1-28-1949 17:2
Congregational Society of Bloomingdale established August 22, 1840, 4-15-1949 17:1
Congregational Church, Elk Grove established in 1840, 6-3-1949 15:2
James Parker opened a hotel in Wheeling about 1840, 8-5-1949 17:2
southeast corner of Schaumburg Township was settled in 1840, 3-24-1950 15:1
Schierding and Schween families settled at Sarah’s Grove in 1840, 3-24-1950 15:1
DuPage Society for Mutual Protection formed in 1840; helped settle land claim disputes 7-6-1951 RR 1:3
Wheeling Circuit formed October 31, 1840, 4-23-1953 AHH 23:6, 5-21-1953 AHH 23:4, 5-28-1953 AHH 23:4
sawmill erected in 1840 on Old Plum Grove Road at Salt Creek 6-2-1955 AHH 1:1
Plum Grove residents were eager for culture in 1840, 7-7-1955 PE 3:4
ground broken in 1840 for Elk Grove Methodist Church 12-23-1969 AHH 1:2
1840’s A.D.
Clark Tavern and Stevens Tavern on Lake Street mentioned, 1840’s 4-15-1949 17:2
Methodist parsonage built in Buffalo Grove in 1840’s 5-21-1953 AHH 23:4
German Catholics settled Buffalo Grove in 1840’s 3-17-1969 WH 3:1
story of sawmill erected on Salt Creek in 1840’s by Lot Whitcomb 3-20-1970 PH 1:6
1841 A.D
Dr. Elijah Smith located in 1841 on a section of land where Itasca now stands 3-25-1949 17:1
First Baptist Church, Bloomingdale, founded in 1841, photograph 4-15-1949 17:2
Fredericka Parkhurst, Plum Grove: first white person to die in Palatine Township; passed away July 9, 1841, photograph of tombstone 10-1-1953 AHH 24:2, 7-7-1955 PE 19:1
Cady Cemetery created in 1841 when Ezekiel Cady buried his son Wilbert 10-1-1964 PE 1:2
State of Illinois recognized Wm. Dunton’s claim to what is now downtown Arlington Heights in 1841, 8-21-1968 AHH 2:1
Baptist and Congregational churches were meeting in area’s first one-room school house in Bloomingdale in 1841, 4-15-1970 BR 6:1
1842 A.D.
William Carney, first white male child born in Evanston in 1842, 4-19-1907 3:5
McHenry Road laid out by the commissioners of Lake County in 1842, 9-3-1926 23:4
German United Reformed Lutheran Church of Addison dedicated in 1842, 2-11-1949 17:3
men were unwilling to give Elizabeth Atkinson, Deer Grove, a preacher’s license in 1842, but they gave her a license to be an exhorter 5-21-1953 AHH 1:5, 23:4
1843 A.D.
Luther Bartlett settled in Illinois in 1843 to give community its name 4-8-1949 17:1
Mr. Tupper and Moses Hoyt, Meacham’s Grove, kept taverns in 1843, 4-15-1949 17:1
Waters Northrup was Meacham’s Grove postmaster in 1843, 4-15-1949 17:1
1844 A.D.
Rev. Francis Hoffmann records first baptism, marriage, etc. in Addison Township in 1844, 2-11-1949 17:4
Frink and Walker owned and operated stagecoaches to Bloomingdale in 1844, 4-15-1949 17:2
Hiram Gooding erected a saw-mill in 1844 on Shaw’s Creek just south of Meacham’s Grove 4-15-1949 17:2
1845 A.D.
Colonel Roselle Hough settled in Roselle in 1845, 7-22-1949 17:1
Albert Fassbender started a hardware store in Wheeling in 1845, 8-5-1949 17:3
Wheeling Public School was first public school in village; erected in 1845, 8-5-1949 17:3, 8-14-1969 AHH 34:1
Euclid Avenue informally laid out by Cook County in 1845 and corrected 1866; then known as Cemetery Road 7-28-1950 17:1
Plum Grove was an Indian burial ground; redmen continued to visit until 1845, 9-17-1964 PE 5:4
Dr. Elijah Smith was first owner of site in 1845; office at 217 North Walnut Street, Itasca, photograph 12-3-1964 IR 1:4
United States Land Commissioner William Foster signed titles to land in Arlington Heights in 1845, 4-7-1966 AHH 14:3
Galena mines produced 83 per cent of nation’s lead in 1845, 7-21-1968 RR 13:2
Asa Dunton home built in 1845, 8-22-1969 AHH 1:1
1846 A.D.
William Rathje arrived in Bloomingdale in 1846; justice of the peace 4-15-1949 17:2
eight stage coaches arrived and departed from Chicago daily 6-26-1968 HSH 8:1
1847 A.D.
Bethany Church, Evangelical United Brethren, Itasca, had beginnings 88 years ago 11-29-1935 RR 1:3
century old York Center School to be sold 4-25-1947 18:3
cocktail party honors century old barn at Wagner Road and Glenview Road 7-17-1947 10:4
Linnemann family settled in Elk Grove 100 years ago 10-17-1947 2:3, photograph 10-17-1947 6:3
William Battin arrived in Bloomingdale in 1847, conducted a butcher shop 4-15-1949 17:2
Darius Wood, Palatine, rode by horseback to Chicago land office to purchase 40 acres in southeast quarter of Section 15 in May 1847, 3-3-1950 17:1
Henry Mundhenk came to Barrington Township in 1847; Mundhenk Road named after 4-9-1964 AHH 15:6
old statehouse, restored stone-by-stone to its appearance in 1847, rededicated as historic landmark in Springfield, photograph 12-13-1968 RR 11:2
first mass said in Wheeling area in 1847 at St. Mary Catholic Church, Buffalo Grove 8-14-1969 AHH 56:1, 1-13-1970 BGH 1:2
Owen Rooney purchased 160 acres in section 12 of Elk Grove Township for $100 in 1847, 2-24-1970 MPH 1:1
1848 A.D.
Illinois-Michigan Canal completed 1-1-1915 PE 1:5
Louis Busse left home in Hanover, Germany and came to Elk Grove in 1848, 4-3-1936 5:3
Mr. and Mrs. Friedrich Busse came to America in 1848, photographs 7-1-1938 CCH 1:4
century old trees felled for Pepper Block, Palatine 1-16-1948 13:4
Public Service Company service bulletin: The Illinois & Michigan Canal 1848-1948, woodcuts 3-12-1948 MPH 4:5, 4-16-1948 2:5
new Palatine depot to last another century 9-24-1948 PE 1:6
present Galena division C&NW RR started operation in 1848 as Galena & Chicago Union Railroad with ten miles of track from Chicago to Des Plaines River 2-18-1949 12:5
Illinois Constitution of 1848 mentioned 3-4-1949 20:3
Francis Neltor settled in Bloomingdale in 1848, tailor 4-15-1949 17:2
Union Hotel, Arlington Heights, built nearly 100 years ago, now only a memory, photograph 10-30-1958 AHH 25:1
5-cent stamp rate was charged 115 years ago 1-3-1963 PE 3:4
Busse family history goes back to 1848, photographs 1-24-1963 AHH 18:1
St. Peter Lutheran Church, Schaumburg, original church built in 1848, oldest Lutheran building in Chicago area, photograph 5-16-1963 HH 1:3, 2:4
Schaumburg post office started in 1848, 10-15-1964 HH 4:2
contract let in 1848 to construct a plank road later known as Higgins Road 9-20-1967 AHH 48:2
canal boat General Thornton was first boat to travel entire length of Illinois and Michigan canal in 1848, 5-22-1968 HSH 7:1
failure of German revolution of 1848 caused a series of outwanderings 9-5-1969 BR 16:3
tract of 148 acres east of Mount Prospect Road in Maine Township purchased in 1848 from Charles Follansbee 2-24-1970 MPH 1:4
1849 A.D.
first white child born in Mount Prospect in log cabin southwest of Central Road and the tracks: Celia Melvin Taylor (September 19, 1849) 9-19-1930 1:7
Galena & Chicago Union Railroad was built from Chicago west in 1849, 4-8-1949 17:1
Welflin General Store, Wheeling, had its beginning about 100 years ago when it was known as J. M. Schaffer’s General Store 8-12-1949 17:1
100 year old antiques at Landwer centennial; photographs of flail, wooden fork, oxen yoke, covered wagon, spinning wheel 9-30-1949 PE 1:4
Cook County “paved” Milwaukee Avenue with wood planks from Chicago to Wheeling in 1849, 1-30-1964 AHH 22:1
local men affected by 1849 California gold rush 6-30-1966 AHH 94:4
school system in Arlington Heights began with a small elementary school in 1849, 8-21-1968 AHH 2:2
1850 A.D.
list of Leyden Township supervisors since 1850, 3-22-1929 DCR 2:8
Miner’s Tavern, site of Elk Grove Township town meetings 1850-1851; southwest corner State Road and Algonquin Road 4-3-1936 5:2
Henry Holstein settled in Bloomingdale in 1850 and operated a grist mill 4-15-1949 17:2
Cook County townships organized 100 years ago; series of articles taken from History of Cook County (1884) 3-3-1950 17:1
Dundee Road was laid out before 1850, 7-21-1950 17:1
State Road established in 1850 by Wheeling Township, then known as Dunton Road 7-21-1950 17:1, 11-7-1963 AHH 22:3
first Wheeling Township town meeting a century ago 7-21-1950 17:1, 7-28-1950 17:1, 8-4-1950 15:2
history of Palatine Township town meetings from 1850 – 1875, 8-10-1950 17:1
Barrington Township name adopted in 1850 from Great Barrington, Mass., former home of many early residents 4-9-1964 AHH 15:4
mill stones at Deer Park, Bensenville “were used by J. H. Franzen in 1850 to grind flax seed from which linseed oil was made”, photograph 5-24-1967 RR 12:8, 13:3
Mount Emblem Cemetery advertisement; old Dutch mill built in 1850, photograph 7-25-1969 EGH 5:5
list of residents along Mount Prospect Road in 1850, 12-9-1969 EGH 2:3
1850’s A.D.
1850’s C&NW freight book from Deer Grove discovered 8-31-1945 PE 1:1
Uncle Charlie Pierce operated first store in Itasca in 1850’s, selling cloth, cheese, crackers and candy 3-25-1949 17:1
Abraham Lincoln gave a speech in 1850’s at First Baptist Church, Bloomingdale 4-15-1949 17:2
early German settlers were warmly welcomed in the 1850’s by Charles Patten, photograph 10-28-1949 25:1
Dan Rhodes, Long Grove, blacksmith 100 years ago 10-20-1950 17:1
Cady Cemetery deeded to Palatine Township in 1850’s 10-1-1964 PE 1:2
Gail Millard films 1850’s two-masted topsail schooner buried in 105 feet of water 15 miles offshore from Green Bay area 7-12-1968 MPP 1:1
1851 A.D.
Bradwell School, brick school was built 71 years ago (1851) and torn down last year 5-19-1922 1:6
old issue of Prairie Herald dated June 10, 1851 found 2-27-1948 15:1
Congregational Society of Bloomingdale built a church in 1851, 4-15-1949 17:1
John Klehm came to Arlington Heights in 1851, 4-22-1949 17:3
Kensington Road laid out in April 1851 from State Road to River Road 7-21-1950 17:2
Elk Grove Township board agreed to raise $15 in 1851 for the bridge across Salt Creek 9-20-1967 AHH 46:1
Illinois Central Railroad incorporated in 1851, 8-30-1968 EGH 12:3
Union Railroad Station being restored; dates back to 1851 making it the oldest passenger station west of Pittsburgh 4-25-1969 WH 1:4
1852 A.D.
Palatine known as ‘Glendale’ on some 1852 maps 1-3-1936 1:1
Salt Creek had three bridges in Elk Grove Township in 1852: north, center and south 8-25-1950 15:1
Revolutionary War veteran David Kennison died in 1852, aged 115; buried at Lincoln Park 9-28-1961 S 8:3
Graue Mill grinds grain as it did 113 years ago, photographs 5-27-1965 AHH 21:7
description of first town meeting in Schaumburg Township in 1852, 3-31-1966 HH 1:1
Union House, site of Elk Grove Township town meetings 1852-1854, 8-25-1950 15:1, 9-20-1967 AHH 46:1
St. Mary Catholic Church, Buffalo Grove, built in 1852, 8-14-1969 AHH 56:1
population of Elk Grove Township in 1852 was only 672, 12-9-1969 EGH 2:3
1853 A.D.
railroad reached Dunton in 1853, 2-18-1949 12:1
Central Road appears on an 1853 plat running between Wheeling Township and Elk Grove 2-18-1949 12:5
Chicago, St. Paul & Fon du Lac Railroad surveyed through Wheeling Township by 1853, 7-21-1950 17:2
Wilke Road maintenance divided between Wheeling and Palatine Townships in 1853, 7-21-1950 17:3
century-old pork cake recipe debuts 12-5-1963 AHH 59:4
Mount Prospect Road annexed to Elk Grove Township in 1853, 9-20-1967 AHH 46:1
1854 A.D.
reprint from Weekly Chicago Democrat of April 1, 1854 tells of old time mail routes 7-23-1943 1:4
Francis Hoffman organized Republican Party in Elk Grove Township in 1854, 8-27-1948 28:2
railroad arrival in 1854 gives birth to new village of Palatine 2-18-1949 12:1
Illinois & Wisconsin Railroad was built in 1854 from Chicago to Cary 2-18-1949 12:5
depot built in Arlington Heights in 1854, 4-22-1949 17:1
Dr. T. F. Miner built a store at Park Street and State Road in 1854, 4-22-1949 17:1
First Methodist Church, Palatine, began in school house in 1854, 11-4-1949 17:1
Miss Lucina Spring first teacher in Palatine in 1854, 11-4-1949 17:1, 6-30-1966 AHH 98:3
depot built in Palatine in 1854, 8-10-1950 17:3
Palatine Township town meetings were held in the Palatine depot waiting room from 1854 to 1859, 8-10-1950 17:3
Salem Evangelical Church moved to Barrington after the coming of the railroad in 1854, 5-14-1953 PE 1:5
Arlington Heights 100 years old today…and no birthday cake; Attorney Willard Walters discovers town plat filed 100 years ago [not shown] 11-4-1954 AHH 1:7
Mr. Wing opened a store in Arlington Heights in 1854, 9-28-1961 S 42:1
Illinois bids goodbye to century-old institution: Justice of the Peace 1-2-1964 AHH 10:4
Barrington started in 1854 when C&NW RR came through 4-9-1964 AHH 15:4
map of Arlington Heights drawn by William Dunton in 1854, 11-4-1954 AHH 1:7, 6-18-1959 AHH 22:1, 2-24-1966 AHH 4:1
1855 A.D.
C&NW RR advertisement: dots and dashes helped run the railroad in 1855, 6-22-1945 3:1
J. Thurston built the first depot in Palatine after a sidetrack was laid in June, 1855, 2-18-1949 12:3
post office established in the W. H. Dunton home at Dunton in 1855, Wm. Dunton was postmaster, 4-22-1949 17:1
Joel Wood laid out Palatine in 1855, 4-7-1955 PE 1:7
5 day centennial celebration now in full swing; Palatine’s first century will be hailed with parades, pageantry; parade two miles long 7-7-1955 PE 1:1
early residents object to opening Palatine Road in 1855, 8-18-1950 17:3
Dr. Keeler, Palatine, knocked out some teeth in a lockjaw patient in 1855 so he could give her some medicine 6-2-1955 AHH 1:1
Fred Page built a blacksmith shop at 13 West Davis Street, Arlington Heights in 1855, 3-24-1966 AHH 8:3
St. Mary Catholic Church, Buffalo Grove robbed, vandalized and burned down in 1855, 3-17-1969 WH 3:1
First Baptist Church, Bloomingdale built in 1855, 4-15-1970 BR 6:1
1856 A.D.
Joseph Olmstead, Arlington Heights, marched four miles in Chicago in 1856 in a John Fremont torchlight procession 4-8-1910 13:5
Klehm Nursery, Arlington Heights, established in 1856, 9-24-1926 5:3
first Cady Cemetery deed to Palatine Township made 77 years ago 4-7-1933 1:7
Union Pacific Railroad locomotive of 1856 on exhibition in Chicago 4-28-1939 4:5
C. Eden and Robert Gates arrived at Bloomingdale in 1856, conducted a wagon shop 4-15-1949 17:2
John Adam Klehm, ‘cherry tree man’, ran oldest business venture in Arlington Heights in 1856, photographs 5-13-1949 17:1
original building of First Presbyterian Church, Arlington Heights, erected in 1856, photograph 9-28-1961 S 6:4
first religious school in area built in 1856 by St. Mary Catholic Church, Buffalo Grove 3-17-1969 WH 3:1
1857 A.D.
construction of C&NW RR began in 1857, 8-28-1931 8:4
Joel Wood donated site for Palatine Methodist Church in 1857, 6-4-1953 AHH 21:6
booklet written by Rev. William Hutchinson Smith described 1857 revival meeting in Elk Grove 6-9-1955 AHH 1:1
James Dunton and Young Miller started a store on Dunton Avenue in 1857, 4-22-1949 17:2, 9-28-1961 S 42:1
Des Plaines known as Rand from recording of the plat in 1857 until name changed to Des Plaines in 1869, 10-29-1964 AHH 10:3
bleeding cost 50 cents in a doctor’s office in 1857, 6-30-1966 AHH 98:1
Panic of 1857 mentioned 9-20-1967 AHH 48:3
1858 A.D.
congregation organized at Proviso Township in 1858, 2-11-1949 17:5
C&NW RR had sleeping cars as early as 1858, 2-18-1949 12:6
Charles H. Patten helped build First Methodist Church, Palatine, in 1858, 10-28-1949 25:3
1859 A.D.
first C&NW RR train came through October 12, 1859, 8-28-1931 8:4
Chicago, St. Paul & Fon du Lac Railroad extended from Cary to Janesville and consolidated into Chicago & Northwestern Railroad in 1859, 2-18-1949 12:5
C&NW RR was born of railroad consolidations: Chicago, St. Paul & Fon du Lac Railroad and Illinois & Wisconsin Railroad in 1859, 2-18-1949 12:5
Masonry came to Palatine in February, 1859, 7-7-1955 PE 14:1
century-old barn at 122 West Hintz Road saved from fire, photograph 4-9-1959 MPH 1:1
First Presbyterian Church, Arlington Heights: century of memories are in razed building, photographs 6-25-1959 AHH 6:4
duties of the sexton at First Congregational Church, Bloomingdale Township in 1859, 6-22-1961 BR 11:2
1860 A.D.
Arlington Heights downtown in 1860, photograph 9-13-1935 1:4
find washing machine used 75 years ago in Schoenbeck family 11-1-1935 1:2
Palatine seeks new depot after 85 years; only original station still in use 10-25-1945 1:3, 9-12-1947 8:3, 2-18-1949 12:4
Jacob Sigwalt, Dunton, started a hotel in 1860, 4-22-1949 17:2
Wheeling cheered march of Milwaukee volunteers in 1860 along Milwaukee Avenue as they went to fight 8-5-1949 17:3
Dr. Brown, Schaumburg, first doctor to appear northwest of Chicago, arrived in 1860 (Dr. Frederick T. Miner, Elk Grove also called the first) 10-14-1949 17:3
Higgins Road was known as Chicago-Dundee Road until 1860, 8-25-1950 15:2
Brother Olmsted preached first sermon in 1860 at Methodist Camp Grounds, Des Plaines 6-4-1953 AHH 21:6
century-old home at 11 South Arlington Heights Road is featured in Family Circle magazine, photograph 7-20-1961 AHH 16:1
Bensenville’s oldest building built in 1860, photograph; owned by Carl Linden 10-5-1961 BR 1:2
business saves 103-year-old home from wrecking ball, photograph 4-18-1963 AHH 57:1
south end of Evangelical Free Church, Arlington Heights, was a Methodist congregation erected in 1860, 10-17-1963 AHH 51:5, photograph 12-23-1969 AHH 1:2
Palatine Historical Society has secured microfilm copies of the federal census for Palatine Township for 1860, 5-5-1966 PE 1:1
“Who Was Who in Palatine in 1860 and 1880″ 5-19-1966 PE 3:3
Busse Road built in 1860, 9-20-1967 AHH 46:2
1860’s A.D.
four Arlington Heights business firms ‘handed down’ since 1860-1875 era 4-29-1949 17:1
oldest known photograph of Arlington Heights business area taken in the 1860’s 4-29-1949 17:2
Wm. DeLong, Dunton, started a tin shop in 1860, 4-22-1949 17:2
Deegan Grocery, Dunton, photograph taken in 1860’s 4-29-1949 17:2
Saddle Harness Shop, Palatine, photograph of Slade Street over 80 years ago 6-24-1949 17:1
Wheeling cheered march of Milwaukee volunteers in 1860 along Milwaukee Avenue as they went to fight in Civil War 8-5-1949 17:3
1861 A.D.
Enoch Williams, Dunton, erected a cheese factory on Miner Street and State Road in 1861, later sold to Heinrich brothers 4-22-1949 17:2
Stuart Paddock, Sr. discovers in his garage a Palatine Township Justice of the Peace book covering years 1861 to 1910, 6-24-1949 17:1
St. John Evangelical Lutheran Church, Rodenburg: century-old church to mark anniversary, photograph 5-18-1961 HH 1:1
1862 A.D.
C. Rheling, Dunton, started a meat market in 1862, Mr. Newmark ran the butcher shop 4-22-1949 17:2
Charles Sigwalt was instrumental in organizing the first Lodge in this vicinity in Palatine in 1862, Palatine Lodge No. 314, Ancient Free and Accepted Masons 7-29-1949 17:2
Alfred Schwake owns rare 1862 Cook County map, reveals area’s Yankee heritage, photograph 1-30-1964 AHH 11:1, 12-9-1969 EGH 2:3
1863 A.D.
Johnson & Peter established a grain elevator and a lumber yard in 1863, 4-22-1949 17:2, 11-25-1949 17:1
St. Peter Lutheran Church, Schaumburg bell dating back to 1863 is retired, photograph 12-15-1955 RR 1:3
infant left at door of Bloomingdale Township Supervisor (April 6, 1863) 6-22-1961 BR 11:2
Bloomingdale Township militia roll mentioned, dated June 27, 1863, 6-22-1961 BR 11:4
professional playwright Larry Rupert is writing “Barrington’s First Century”€From Indians to Astronauts” 8-15-1963 AHH 5:5
century-old pork cake recipe debuts 12-5-1963 AHH 59:4
1864 A.D.
C&NW RR consolidated with Galena & Chicago Union Railroad in 1864 resulting in 900 miles of track; introduced railway postoffice in 1864, 2-18-1949 12:6
Addison Teacher’s Seminary alumni visit monument erected in 1864, 7-5-1962 BR 9:3
Linneman Road, Mount Prospect, laid out in 1864, 9-20-1967 AHH 46:2
Community Presbyterian Church, Wheeling, organized in 1864, 8-14-1969 AHH 56:2
1865 A.D.
Tom Sauerman, Bloomingdale, arrived in 1865, worked as a harnessmaker 4-15-1949 17:2
James Shirra built a gristmill at State Road and Miner Street in 1865 which he sold to Konrad Kolling and sons in 1870, 4-22-1949 17:2
R. Turnuz, Robert Barrows and Slade & Schierding operated stores in Palatine in 1865, 8-10-1950 17:3
century-old audit report lists A. Lincoln payment 12-16-1965 AHH 99:5
William Higgins operated a carriage business in Arlington Heights from 1865 to 1883, 3-24-1966 AHH 8:3
in 1865 Illinois became the first state to ratify the 13th Amendment to the Constitution, ending slavery 3-31-1968 SH 7:1
German Evangelical United Reformed and Lutheran Church, Wheeling, erected in 1865, 8-14-1969 AHH 41:1
1866 A.D.
Rev. Edward H. Barrett taught school in 1866-67 at Dunton Academy 5-25-1901 1:5
copies of Chicago Tribune, Farmer’s Journal and Northwestern Christian Advocate dated September, 1866 used in place of building paper in home on South Dunton Avenue, Arlington Heights 2-25-1949 1:6
Charles Reisner, Dunton, started a shoe store in 1866, 4-22-1949 17:2
Francis Hoffman, Schaumburg, became Lt. Gov. of Illinois in 1866, 10-15-1964 HH 4:2
sign at Palatine village hall: “100th anniversary 1866-1966″, photograph 3-24-1966 PE 1:1
Congregational Church, Wheeling built in 1866, 8-14-1969 AHH 34:1, 56:2
1867 A.D.
School District No. 23, Wheeling Township erected a school in 1867, 5-1-1936 1:3
list of DuPage County officials (July 31, 1867) 11-17-1939 RR 1:8
Universalists erected a building in Arlington Heights and sold it in 1867, 6-10-1949 17:3
smart politics carried school bond election in School District No. 25, Wheeling Township in 1867, 5-26-1950 17:3
Campbell Street, Vail Street and Dunton Avenue, Arlington Heights, designated and approved May 25, 1867, 7-28-1950 17:1
Matteson Bridge, Palatine Road over the Des Plaines River cut down by Wheeling Township in 1867, caused controversy with Northfield Township, object of a lawsuit 7-28-1950 17:1
Illinois General Assembly passed an act making eight hours a legal day’s work in 1867, 8-30-1968 EGH 12:3
1868 A.D.
Jos. Bray built a hardware store in Arlington Heights about 1868; later sold to Bray & Kates 9-24-1926 5:3
Trinity Lutheran Church, York Center, congregation organized in 1868, 2-11-1949 17:5
Lutheran Church, Wheeling, erected in 1868 for $1500; one-story frame structure with a short steeple 8-5-1949 17:3
South Side Cemetery, Palatine, dedicated in two sections on June 7, 1868, 10-1-1953 AHH 24:2
Bloomingdale Township highway commissioners estimated they would need 8,000 feet of plank for roads in 1868, 6-22-1961 BR 11:3
Roselle named for Rosell M. Hough, who founded the village in 1868 by building a flax-mill 10-25-1968 EGH 6:5
1869 A.D.
Henry Luttge built the first store in Arlington Heights in 1869, a grocery; later sold to F. H. Lorenzen 9-24-1926 5:3
C. Taege built the first store in Arlington Heights in 1869, a hardware store 9-24-1926 5:3
Village of Palatine incorporated in 1869 under name “Palatine Town” 5-24-1935 PE 1:4
Arlington Heights Public School erected 1869: oldest elementary school building of any town northwest of Chicago 5-1-1936 1:3
photograph of Bruhns Market, Palatine, over 80 years ago 6-24-1949 19:1
Arlington Heights business district 80 and 40 years ago, photographs 9-30-1949 17:1
teacher’s switch helped to preserve order in Palatine Public School 80 years ago 11-4-1949 17:1
Comfort Lumber Co., Palatine, to mark 95 years in business, hailed as oldest business in Palatine; founded by Joseph Slade in 1869, photographs 7-23-1964 PE 2:1, 7-30-1964 PE 7:1
Des Plaines known as Rand from recording of the plat in 1857 until name changed to Des Plaines in 1869, 10-29-1964 AHH 10:3
1870 A.D.
Orchard Place postal station disbanded; founded in 1870, formerly named Maineville, Farewell 11-15-1935 5:5
school kids enjoyed fights in place of basketball 67 years ago: George Klehm 3-5-1937 2:5
Palatine postmaster William Kehe finds 1870 U.S. postal directory 10-6-1939 RR 1:1
Lake Zurich purchased by Lake Zurich Lions Club; artificial lake formed in the 1870’s when roads were built serving as dams 9-24-1948 17:4
Chicago & Pacific Railroad came through Bensenville in 1870, 2-25-1949 17:1
Illinois Constitution of 1870 placed a debt limitation on local governments which encouraged the formation of new local governments whenever new services needed to be provided 4-22-1949 20:3
Wheeling Public School built in 1870, later remodeled and used until 1926, photograph 8-5-1949 17:2
‘1870 living room’ to highlight First Methodist Church, Arlington Heights, hobby show 9-2-1949 6:1
Conrad Fink purchased Fink Hotel and Tavern, Palatine, in 1870, 9-16-1949 17:1
pioneer physician Dr. John Best came to Arlington 80 years ago 4-7-1950 17:1
Arlington’s biggest house in 1870, Mr. Kolling’s apartment house adjoining the Arlington Theater, to be replaced by a parking lot 9-8-1950 17:3
Immanuel Lutheran Church, Palatine, had a small beginning eighty years ago 12-1-1950 17:1
Bloomingdale Township list of men liable to work on highways (April 14, 1870) 6-22-1961 BR 11:2
Harrison Merry first Arlington Heights school administrator in 1870, 8-21-1968 AHH 2:2
1870’s A.D.
Joseph Olmsted built a store on the west side of Dunton Avenue, Arlington Heights, in the early 1870’s 9-24-1926 5:3
William Alden, Palatine, kept a scrap book of job printing samples from the 1870’s 12-24-1948 17:3, 3-18-1949 24:1, 6-2-1950 17:2
American Hotel advertisement: good accommodations for travelers and farmers; good stabling for farmers; proprietor Jacob Mosser 3-18-1949 24:3
Barrington Steam and Wind Mill advertisement 3-18-1949 24:3
Batterman, Ableman & Ost, Palatine, advertisement: flax tow and mill feed 3-18-1949 24:3
Henry Seip, Lake Zurich, advertisement: dealer in dry goods, groceries and crockery 3-18-1949 24:3
North Barrington Cheese and Butter Factory advertisement 3-18-1949 24:3
M. H. Lytle & Co., Palatine, advertisement: grain, seeds, hard and soft coal, salt, bran, etc. 3-18-1949 24:3
F. Bausman, Palatine, advertisement: dealer in milk cans, tin, copper and sheet metal work 3-18-1949 24:3
Bliss Universal baking powder, Palatine, advertisement 3-18-1949 24:3
C. S. Dunning & Son, Elgin, advertisement: wholesale butchers, auctioneers, valuists, etc. 3-18-1949 24:3
Illinois Constitution of 1870 placed a debt limitation on local governments which encouraged the formation of new local governments whenever new services needed to be provided 4-22-1949 20:3
Schminke Tavern, Wheeling, built in the 1870’s, photograph 8-5-1949 17:2
Mrs. Christian Dierking, pioneer resident of Arlington Heights, recalls days of 1870-1880’s, photograph 11-25-1949 17:1
photographs of Immanuel Lutheran Church, Palatine, school (1870-1926) 1-6-1950 12:1, 7-7-1955 PE 15:2
Dr. Bruce Best, Arlington Heights, tells why longevity is greater today than 70-80 years ago, photograph 4-21-1950 15:1
William Busse Sr. gives interesting side-lights of the life of a farmer boy 70 to 80 years ago 5-11-1951 AHH
one-room Roselle Public School, built in 1870’s, used for 50 years, photographs 1-14-1965 131:5
1871 A.D.
School District No. 1, Wheeling Township, original school erected 1871, 5-1-1936 1:3
letter recalls leather boots and school days of 1871, 4-14-1944 CCH 3:4
C. G. Pierce, Bloomingdale, arrived in 1871, dealer in poultry and fruits 4-15-1949 17:2
E. C. Eggelston first surveyed and named Mount Prospect about 1871; village was on high ground and had great prospects 3-29-1956 MPH 4:6
Farmside Country Store, Long Grove, sold, history: started in 1871 by Sauer brothers, burned to ground in 1917 [1915?] 8-9-1962 WH 4:6
Elmhurst College to mark Founders Day; founded December 6, 1871, 11-21-1963 BR 8:7
home at 619 North State Road, Arlington Heights, was built in 1871, 10-17-1963 AHH 51:5, 10-1-1964 AHH 46:1
great Chicago fire recalled by ‘oldest’ Itasca resident, Mrs. Cora Miller 12-19-1963 BR 17:1
1872 A.D.
winter of 1872-1873 was very cold; 20 to 30 degrees below zero several times; 2 feet of snow lay level about two months 2-1-1918 1:6
Cook County Herald established by G. E. Sarlie [actually G. E. Earlie] in 1872, first suburban newspaper in Cook County 12-24-1948 17:2
list of Arlington Heights stores established in 1872, 9-24-1926 5:3
Edward Greenburg, Arlington Heights, blacksmith shop and wagon shop built in 1872; history, photographs 7-7-1949 17:2, 1-6-1950 12:1, 9-28-1961 S 52:3
School Districts No. 51-55, Schaumburg Township organized in 1872, 4-7-1966 SH 5:1
1873 A.D.
Panic of 1873 mentioned 5-1-1914 11:3
bird’s-eye view of Itasca in 1873, 10-9-1925 11:2, 3-15-1935 RR 1:2, 2-9-1970 BR 2:1
Schirding’s Hall, Palatine masquerade program of 1873 discloses dance marathon; 31 dances listed 7-13-1928 PE 1:7, 6-2-1950 17:2, 7-7-1955 PE 9:4
Bensenville became a village in 1873, three years after arrival of railroad, photograph 2-25-1949 17:1
facsimile of 4 page March 21, 1873 edition of Palatine Herald 3-18-1949 17:1
Cook County Jail included sixteen cells called “Alderman’s Corridor” in 1873, 3-18-1949 17:1
Ernest Schroeder set up a blacksmith shop in Itasca in 1873; invented the Schroeder plow, potato planter and bobsled coupler 3-25-1949 17:1
Darius Wood, Palatine, sold staple dry goods, notions, groceries, boots & shoes, crockery, etc. (March 21, 1873) 3-18-1949 17:4
Tennant & Grannis, Park Ridge, dealers in dry goods, groceries and general merchandise (March 21, 1873) 3-18-1949 17:4
Mrs. C. S. Holt, Palatine, advertisement: millinery and ladies’ furnishing goods (March 21, 1873) 3-18-1949 17:5
Mrs. E. E. Lewis, Palatine, advertisement: oculist (March 21, 1873) 3-18-1949 17:5
Smith Bros., Palatine, advertisement: dealers in stoves, tinware (March 21, 1873) 3-18-1949 17:5
N. Peck Wagons and Carriages, Palatine, advertisement: sleighs, bob-sleds & cutters (March 21, 1873) 3-18-1949 17:5
Granville Peck’s Vinegar Works, Palatine, advertisement, pure cider vinegar (March 21, 1873) 3-18-1949 17:5
C. F. Hall and Co., Dundee, advertisement: dry goods, groceries, clothing, boots, shoes, hats, caps (March 21, 1873) 3-18-1949 17:6
J. Kolberg & Co., Dunton, advertisement: dry goods, groceries, hats and caps, boots and shoes, crockery, wooden ware, stone ware and glass ware, yankee notions, oil cloths, school books, German and English (March 21, 1873) 3-18-1949 17:6
Palatine Nursery advertisement: osage orange hedge plants, apple trees, early Richmond cherry, pears, plums, raspberries, grape vines, transcendent & hyslop crab, evergreens, and a general nursery stock; S. L. Keith, proprietor (March 21, 1873) 3-18-1949 17:7
J. Chapman, Palatine, advertisement: saddles, harness, trunks, bridles, halters, collars, combs, horse blankets, buffalo robes, sleigh bells (March 21, 1873) 3-18-1949 17:7
W. H. Dobell, Palatine, advertisement: carriage painting and trimming (March 21, 1873) 3-18-1949 17:7
recipes for soft gingerbread, sweet sauce, corn-meal bread, in Palatine Herald (March 21, 1873) 3-18-1949 19:2
W. J. Lytle & Co., Palatine, advertisement: lumber, coal, lime, cement, stucco, plastering hair, brick, flour, proprietors of the “Old Reliable Elevator” (March 21, 1873) 3-18-1949 19:5
H. Schirding & Co., Palatine, advertisement: dry goods, groceries, boots, shoes and notions (March 21, 1873) 3-18-1949 19:5
Frank Robinson, Palatine, advertisement: dry goods, notions, groceries, drugs, paints, glass, boots, clothing, paper hangings, lamps, crockery, hardware, tin, pumps, furniture (March 21, 1873) 3-18-1949 19:5
F. J. Filbert Drug Store, Palatine, advertisement: drugs, paints, oils, patent medicines, toilet & fancy goods, brushes, combs, perfumery, stationery, paper; news depot, cigars and tobacco (March 21, 1873) 3-18-1949 19:7
Dan Johnson, Palatine, has good straw for filling beds (March 21, 1873) 3-18-1949 20:1
Chas. Zimmermann, Palatine, photograph artist will leave town April 1st (March 21, 1873) 3-18-1949 20:1
Henry Willa, proprietor, Chicago Avenue Meat Market, Palatine, shipped to Chicago 4,000 pounds of pork and 25 calves (March 21, 1873) 3-18-1949 20:1
where is Palatine’s lamp-lighter these dark nights? (March 21, 1873) 3-18-1949 20:1
Dunton to have a monthly stock market (March 21, 1873) 3-18-1949 20:1
wild ducks, geese, wild pigeons, robins, blue birds, larks in Palatine; hunters are preparing for snipe shooting (March 21, 1873) 3-18-1949 20:1
L. Baker, Dunton, purchased J. Kennicott’s carpenter shop, fitting up for a carpenter and cooper shop (March 21, 1873) 3-18-1949 20:2
H. B. Burlingame, Dunton, has a hen that lays eggs six by seven and a half inches in size (March 21, 1873) 3-18-1949 20:2
First Methodist Church, Palatine, pulpit remodeled; improvement in ventilation would be a good thing (March 21, 1873) 3-18-1949 20:2
P. H. Gault, Carpentersville, received his bounty, $100, for services in 14th Regiment, Illinois Volunteers (March 21, 1873) 3-18-1949 20:3
John Buck, Dundee, attempted to strike mail carrier D. Smith; brought before Justice Hollister and fined $3 and costs (March 21, 1873) 3-18-1949 20:3
measles still raging at Dundee (March 21, 1873) 3-18-1949 20:3
mumps prevalent at Wauconda (March 21, 1873) 3-18-1949 20:4
description of trial of Christian Meinsen, Des Plaines (March 21, 1873) 3-18-1949 20:4
Leavitt’s Bell Ringers gave concert at Wauconda (March 21, 1873) 3-18-1949 20:4
John Coons, Des Plaines, horse stolen, German arrested (March 21, 1873) 3-18-1949 20:4
Gray & Kinder, Des Plaines, commenced erection of a tin shop (March 21, 1873) 3-18-1949 20:4
description of struggle to clear ice pushing against the bridge at Des Plaines (March 21, 1873) 3-18-1949 20:4
Woodstock Public School exhibition to consist of declamations, singing, dialogues, etc. (March 21, 1873) 3-18-1949 20:4
Barrington Literary Society discussed: “Resolved, That Ambition has been the cause of more evil than has Intemperance.” (March 21, 1873) 3-18-1949 20:5
D. T. Wood, Park Ridge, attacks Des Plaines for wanting to secede from Maine Township (March 21, 1873) 3-18-1949 20:5
horse lost to epizootic (March 21, 1873) 3-18-1949 20:5
all kind of wax or hair work done to order by Clara Holton, Palatine (March 21, 1873) 3-18-1949 20:5
G. H. Clayson’s Nursery, Palatine, advertisement: fruit trees and vines (March 21, 1873) 3-18-1949 20:6
S. Marsh, Palatine, advertisement, watches, clocks, jewelry, gold pens and pencils, musical instruments, sewing machines; guns, pistols, parasols, umbrellas and lamps repaired; old gold and silver bought (March 21, 1873) 3-18-1949 20:6
C&NW RR schedule (March 21, 1873) 3-18-1949 20:7
L. Volberding & Co., Dunton, advertisement, timothy, clover, grass seed, flour, feed, lumber, salt; proprietors of Dunton Elevator (March 21, 1873) 3-18-1949 20:7
Colonel Roselle M. Hough helped run Chicago & Pacific Railroad through Roselle instead of Bloomingdale; completed to Elgin in 1873; engine named after him; first conductor: Fred Atkins 4-15-1949 17:2, 7-22-1949 17:1
B. Beck platted 40 acres in 1873 in Bloomingdale Township 4-15-1949 17:2
Jos. Bray in 1873 built the first brick store in Arlington Heights on Dunton Avenue, later called Bray & Kates 4-22-1949 17:2
Lutheran Orphanage founded in 1873 in Addison 2-14-1963 BR 15:1
Arlington Elevator founded in 1873, 8-21-1968 AHH 2:1
1874 A.D.
Henry Behlendorf, Arlington Heights, erected Trettenbach building in 1874; operated a drug store 9-24-1926 5:3
Palatine businesses listed in reprint of Cook County Herald (October 29, 1874), 11-14-1941 7:5
anniversary edition of Palatine Herald recalls old names, places of 75 years ago, photographs 3-18-1949 (2) 17:1
Chicago & Pacific Railroad came through Itasca in 1874, 3-25-1949 17:1
George Klehm, Arlington Heights went into the mink business in 1874 selling at 35 cents per skin 4-22-1949 17:2
location of Palatine Road 75 years ago brought suits for damages 6-24-1949 17:1
heirs of Mr. Boyington, Palatine, won damages over routing of Palatine Road through their property in 1874, 6-24-1949 17:1
Elizabeth Bliehehl, Deerfield, married Charles Sigwalt on May 28, 1874, 7-29-1949 17:3
Kuebler Hotel and Tavern, Palatine, served man and beast 75 years ago, photograph 9-9-1949 17:1
Schaumburg business center 75 years ago, photograph 10-14-1949 17:1
Palatine business firms catered to farmers seventy-five years ago, photograph 12-9-1949 21:1
Lucy Flake, Palatine, tells how her family obeyed God’s law eighty years ago, photograph 7-22-1954 AHH 31:4
David Peter and A. P. Tewksbury built a feed store in 1873 at Arlington Heights 5-5-1966 AHH 4:3
E. C. Eggleston built a small depot in Mount Prospect in 1874; subdivider filed a plat in 1874 to develop two properties 9-20-1967 AHH 48:4
1874 Atlas and History of DuPage County, Illinois
map reprinted from book 3-10-1939 6:3
1875 A.D.
baseball forty years ago at Arlington Heights 2-19-1915 8:6
old copies of Arlington Heights Advertiser including third issue dated August 9, 1875, published by W. C. Williams given to Paddock Publications, Inc. 11-14-1941 1:6
Cook County Herald purchased by John Holden and W. C. Williams until 1875 when Holden became sole owner 12-24-1948 17:2
Thiemann Hotel, Bensenville, built in 1875, now operated as a tavern by Mrs. Frieda Kolze, photograph from 1900, 2-25-1949 17:2
Wheeling Township resurveyed in 1875, 7-28-1950 17:2
thistle commissioner first mentioned in Wheeling Township records in 1875, 7-28-1950 17:2
history of Palatine Township town meetings from 1875 – 1925, 8-18-1950 17:1
Good Templars lodge organized in 1875 in Palatine 6-11-1953 AHH 23:5
Palatine Village Band history goes back to 1875; old traditions are kept alive 5-2-1963 AHH 20:4
Colonel Roselle Hough sold property to Bloomingdale Township School Trustees for $200 (December 15, 1875), photograph of bill of sale 1-14-1965 131:5
1876 A.D.
School District No. 3, Wheeling Township erected brick school house about 1876, 5-1-1936 1:3
January 14, 1876 copy of Cook County Chronicle in possession of S. P. Hutchinson, Deerfield 12-11-1936 1:2
bird’s-eye view of Itasca in 1876, 5-17-1940 (2) 1:3
A. G. Chessman, Itasca, reunion (February 11, 1876) 11-14-1941 7:5
Arlington Heights Maennerchor practicing under Prof. Gundlach (February, 1876) 11-21-1941 CCH 1:4
Des Plaines Band serenaded E. M. Thomas and H. F. Behlendorf (February, 1876) 11-21-1941 CCH 1:4
Mrs. Colonel Robb appearance at Park Ridge Social and Literary Club (February, 1876) 11-21-1941 CCH 1:4
Mr. Taege fitted up a hall over his hardware store (February, 1876) 11-21-1941 CCH 1:4
Barbara Sieburg birthday party at Meyer’s Union Hotel (February, 1876) 11-21-1941 CCH 1:4
1876 school bell from Itasca Public School mentioned by former teacher 1-14-1949 RR 1:4
cheese factory at Old Plum Grove Road and Salt Creek mentioned in Palatine Township records of May 1876; it later burned down 8-18-1950 17:1, 7-7-1955 PE 11:3
Palatine Methodist Church secured Rev. Dueringer to preach in German in 1876, 6-11-1953 AHH 23:5
Hicks Road dedicated in 1876 as a portion of Plum Grove Road 6-2-1955 AHH 1:1
Sigwalt Sewing Machine Co., Arlington Heights, founded in 1876, 8-21-1968 AHH 2:1
1877 A.D.
news reprinted from June 14, 1877 issue of Cook County Herald 9-24-1926 5:3
Cook County Herald celebrates fifty-sixth birthday; brief history; earliest issue in hands of publisher is dated June 15, 1877, [not reprinted] 10-23-1928 1:2
Cook County Herald copies found in former Wink residence at Palatine published in 1877 and 1878, 11-14-1941 1:6
J. B. Edgerton, Palatine Township Justice of the Peace 1877 to 1884, 6-24-1949 17:3
Freemasons invited to picnic at River Grove (Des Plaines, June 24, 1877), 9-8-1950 17:2
statistics from 1877 revealed by Illinois Auditor of Public Accounts 10-28-1965 AHH 43:3
Palatine Herald sold in 1877 to new owners who change its name to Palatine Enterprise 3-12-1969 PE 1:8
1878 A.D.
items reprinted from Cook County Herald edition dated April 13, 1878, 12-18-1936 5:5
William Alden started Palatine Enterprise in 1878, 3-28-1924 27:3, 12-24-1948 17:2
E. O. Hills, Bloomingdale, entertained the 105th Illinois Regiment at a barbecue party in 1878; steer was served 7-22-1949 17:4
Merrie Schierding celebrated her birthday October 26, 1878 at Kuebler’s Hall, Palatine 6-2-1950 17:3
what a change! 1878 state audit found in bookstore 10-28-1965 AHH 43:1
St. Paul’s Evangelical Church erected on First Street in 1878; torn down and replaced by brick church in 1914, 4-15-1970 BR 6:1
1879 A.D.
old Arlington Heights resident Labon Skinner sees many changes after fifty years absence 5-14-1929 3:4
advertisement reprinted: Barrington Dramatic Club presents Among the Breakers at Maiman’s Hall (March 7, 1879) 3-18-1949 24:3
Wayne Center church abandoned in 1879 and given to the Bartlett congregation; cornerstone laid in 1879, 4-8-1949 17:3
Congregational Society of Bloomingdale built a church in 1851, sold it to Lutherans in 1879, 4-15-1949 17:1
Clara Meyer had a birthday party at the Palatine House (April 2, 1879) 6-2-1950 17:3
phonograph was on public exhibition at Maiman’s Hall, Wauconda (March 7, 1879) 6-2-1950 17:3
when our grandfathers were school children, photograph of Arlington Heights Public School taken in 1879, 11-16-1951 AHH 20:1
1879 photograph of Will Tewksbury, Arlington Heights 11-16-1951 20:2
Fred Pfeifer owned Arlington Elevator and Coal Company from 1879 to 1888, 5-5-1966 AHH 4:3
last buffalo seen in Buffalo Grove was in 1879, 3-17-1969 WH 2:4
1880 A.D.
Hunnerberg’s Hall, Palatine, masquerade ball of February 27, 1880 mentioned 3-18-1949 24:3
CM&SP RR took over the Chicago & Pacific Railroad in 1880, 2-25-1949 17:1, 4-8-1949 17:1
list of Bloomingdale businesses in 1880, 4-15-1949 17:3
when cigar making flourished in Palatine in 1880, photograph 12-30-1949 17:1
what the well-dressed man of 1880 wore 6-2-1950 17:1
Germans numbered three-quarters of entire Palatine population in 1880, 12-1-1950 17:2
Mr. and Mrs. William Hunnerberg took over the Kuebler Hotel and Tavern, Palatine, in 1880, 7-7-1955 PE 6:4, 6-30-1966 AHH 93:3
baggy pants were fashion in 1880, 7-7-1955 PE 7:6
farmer creameries were part of rural economy seventy years ago 3-31-1950 15:1, 7-7-1955 PE 13:1
Arlington Heights population figures from 1880 to 1961, 9-28-1961 S 12:5
Itasca Volunteer Fire Department 1880 model fire engine shown in 1911 in front of William Mess barn, photographs 6-10-1965 IR 1:1, 6-17-1965 IR 2:6
Palatine Historical Society has secured microfilm copies of the federal census for Palatine Township for 1880, 5-5-1966 PE 1:1
Wille family, Mount Prospect, built first tavern at 22 West Busse Avenue about 1880, 2-4-1970 MPH 1:2
1880’s A.D.
Labor Day had small beginning in 1880’s 9-3-1948 12:3
John Burkitt Sr. operated a coal and hardware business in Palatine in the early 1880’s 12-2-1949 17:1
Dr. John Ellison, Arlington Heights, says sickness and death costs were cheap in the 1880’s 5-5-1950 15:1
malaria a problem in the 1880’s 5-5-1950 15:1
town meetings and elections were all day affairs 60-70 years ago 5-26-1950 17:1
1881 A.D.
great snowstorm of March 17-20, 1881 remembered; milk teams drove right over tops of fences 4-13-1901 5:5
Palatine Band thirty years old 2-24-1911 4:2
Des Plaines River water level highest since 1881, 8-15-1924 1:2
H. C. Paddock did some work for the Prairie Farmer around 1881, 12-17-1948 23:1
W. H. Gray, Jefferson Park, borer of artesian wells, drilled a water well 21,198 feet [!] at Bensenville on August 1, 1881; it took five months; the water rises 38 feet above the surface 2-25-1949 17:1
photograph of Slade Street, Palatine, 68 years ago 9-23-1949 17:1
when the carriage and wagon trade flourished in Palatine 68 years ago, photograph; H. Luerssen operated a blacksmith shop and sold farm machinery in addition to wagon making 9-23-1949 17:1
A. S. Olms, Palatine postmaster; W. E. Schering, assistant postmaster 68 years ago 9-23-1949 17:2
Loges & Schultz, Palatine, blacksmith and farm implement dealers 68 years ago, photographs 12-9-1949 21:1, 7-7-1955 PE 6:1
Battermann’s Brick Block, Palatine, built in 1881, 6-16-1950 17:1, 12-17-1953 PE 1:4
smallpox broke out in 1881 at Madison House, Arlington Heights, 8-4-1950 15:1
1882 A.D.
Davis Store, Arlington Heights, building erected by Mr. Olmsted; acquired by F. E. Davis in 1882, 9-24-1926 5:3
Sigwalt Sewing Machine Company, Arlington Heights wanted a sidewalk built in 1882, 8-4-1950 15:2
Elmhurst Road opened from Central Road to Foundry Road in 1882, 8-4-1950 15:2
South Side Cemetery, Palatine, enlarged in 1882, 6-30-1966 AHH 98:3
St. Peter Lutheran Church, Arlington Heights, built in 1882, photograph 8-21-1968 AHH 1:1
1883 A.D.
old timer finds many changes in 46 years 6-14-1929 2:5
three hundred attend Gustav Arps, Palatine, golden anniversary according to September 1883 article in Nunda Herald 9-15-1933 4:1
H. C. Paddock purchased the Wheaton Illinoian in 1883, but was indirectly forced out in 1888 because the “clique” at the DuPage County Courthouse did not like an independent editor 12-17-1948 23:1
first Arlington Heights village board organized sixty-seven years ago 6-23-1950 17:1
Charles Cutting, attorney for Village of Arlington Heights 67 years ago 6-23-1950 17:1
Rudolph Lauterburg operated Madison House, Arlington Heights in 1883, 8-4-1950 15:1
Wheeling Township okayed first subdivision in 1883: Atkin’s Addition, Arlington Heights 8-4-1950 15:2
Northwest Highway known as Hobart Avenue in Arlington Heights in 1883, 8-4-1950 15:2
Billup, blacksmith at 13 West Davis Street, Arlington Heights from 1883 to 1889, 3-24-1966 AHH 8:4
1884 A.D.
history of Village of Palatine published in 1884, mentioned 9-12-1930 PE 3:1
poster for dedication 50 years ago of Battermann’s Hall, Palatine [described but not shown] 11-30-1934 1:4
news items reprinted from Palatine Enterprise issue dated June 28, 1884; found in Battermann’s Brick Block corner stone, photographs 11-17-1938 CCH 1:4
Fred Filbert, Palatine Township Justice of the Peace 1884 to 1899, 6-24-1949 17:3
Arlington Heights postmaster Charles Sigwalt, 1884-1888, photograph 7-29-1949 17:2
Schaumburg in 1884 included a blacksmith shop, five public schools, two private, two Lutheran churches, a Methodist church, two stores and four cheese factories 3-24-1950 15:2
reprint of Palatine Township and Wheeling Township ballots from 1884-1886 election 5-26-1950 17:2
Barrington Post No. 275, Grand Army of the Republic held a grand camp fire at the Methodist Episcopal Church, Barrington (December 3, 1884) 6-2-1950 17:3
Knights and Ladies of Honor held an organization meeting at Temperance Hall May 29, 1884, 6-2-1950 17:3
Dr. S. Bennett conducted a poetry reading describing frontier life in Lake and McHenry Counties (December 3, 1884) 6-2-1950 17:3
Bensenville minutes book recording incorporation 67 years ago, photograph 9-14-1951 RR 1:6
trains snowbound for five days in 1883-1884 at Russel’s Cut, Arlington Heights [probably took place 1881] 1-31-1963 AHH 4:3
Al Volz, 95 says last Thursday’s 24 inch snowfall is not the worst; recalls 1883-1884 storm, photographs [probably took place 1881] 2-2-1967 AHH 1:2
1884 lithograph of railroad passengers dashing to a lunch stand from American Steel Foundries calendar, photograph 6-28-1967 HSH 14:1
Busse Hall owned by J. Sigwalt, used for Elk Grove Township town meetings from 1884 until after 1900, 8-25-1950 15:1, 9-20-1967 AHH 46:2
Jefferson Democratic Club formed in 1884, 9-20-1967 AHH 54:2
Wheeling has two general stores, three hotels, two blacksmith shops, one brewery, one physician, one Lutheran church and 200 citizens in 1884, 8-14-1969 AHH 34:1
1885 A.D.
Des Plaines News and Park Ridge Herald started 1885, 10-11-1940 (2) 4:7
First Presbyterian Church, Itasca, built in 1885, 3-25-1949 17:1
Lillis Patten wife of Charles Patten died March 28, 1885, 10-28-1949 25:3
Knigge Livery Stable, Palatine, 1885 photograph 1-5-1951 11:2
two Palatine ladies all dressed up 70 years ago, photograph 4-28-1955 AHH 21:4
first postoffice opened in Mount Prospect in 1885, 3-29-1956 MPH 4:6
6.24 inches of rain fell on Arlington Heights in July, 1957, which broke a mark standing since 1885, photograph 2-26-1959 AHH 1:6
Charles Sigwalt, Arlington Heights, postmaster from 1885 to 1889, photograph 9-28-1961 S 46:1
1885 office of Dr. Solenberger, at 217 North Walnut Street, Itasca, photograph 12-3-1964 IR 1:4
Henry Droegemueller, blacksmith, came to Itasca in 1885, 1-6-1966 AR 8:3
Green Street School, Bensenville, original minutes book dating back to 1885 inspected, photograph 2-3-1966 AR 3:3
two senators propose to end state’s 1885 vigilante law 4-14-1969 EGH 2:2
1886 A.D.
Robert Reed in 1886 asked that his lands be disconnected from School District No. 10, Wheeling Township 5-1-1936 1:3
Arlington Heights incorporated fifty-five years ago 3-7-1941 1:2
George Klehm, Jr., Arlington Heights introduced the first mushrooms to Chicago diners in 1886, 4-22-1949 17:2
Emil Sigwalt, Arlington Heights postmaster in 1900 serving since 1886, 1-6-1950 CCH 1:1
original Quentin Corner School was east of Route 12; second structure completed in 1886 was west of Route 12 and vacated last spring 9-13-1962 PE 5:6
first railway station built in Wheeling on Wisconsin Central Railway in 1866, 8-14-1969 AHH 41:1
1887 A.D.
Palatine won state supreme court case against John Kitson in 1887 over eleven loads of gravel on Smith Street 3-11-1949 17:4
Ed Landwehr, Shermerville, wrote news for Cook County Herald in 1887 when he was 9 years old 6-24-1949 17:3
Arlington Heights incorporated as a village in 1887, 7-29-1949 17:3, 8-21-1968 AHH 2:2
Wm. Schoepke tells story of big railroad wreck in Palatine (April 7, 1887) 12-16-1949 23:1
George Volz remembers railroad wreck at Palatine 62 years ago 12-16-1949 23:2
Kickapoo Indian troop was in Palatine 62 years ago 12-16-1949 23:2
Des Plaines Literary Society sponsored a minstrel show at Parson’s Hall February 4, 1887, 6-2-1950 17:3
Lincoln Street and Hale Street, Palatine, opened July, 1887, 6-16-1950 17:1
Arlington Heights taverns of 1887 mentioned 6-23-1950 17:2
Dr. E. Farwell offered to let Arlington Heights rent his old store for a jail in 1887, 6-23-1950 17:2
Arlington Heights jail of 1887 described 6-23-1950 17:2
Eddie Wanegar died in 1887, 6-11-1953 AHH 23:6
Bloomingdale Township authorized placement of stone markers instead of wooden posts at section corners in 1887, 6-22-1961 BR 11:3
first Arlington Heights village hall was a tavern at 2 North Dunton Avenue from 1887 to 1891, 12-6-1962 AHH 1:8, photographs 11-18-1965 AHH 9:1
one of Mount Prospect’s oldest houses (1887) at 900 West Northwest Highway burned down, photographs 8-15-1963 MPH 1:1, 5:7
description of Arlington Heights first ordinances passed after 1887 incorporation 10-20-1967 AHH 2:1
1888 A.D.
1888 July Fourth celebration at Arlington Heights recalled 7-9-1937 RR 2:2
Barrington Review started 1888, 10-11-1940 (2) 4:7
reprint of news from Palatine Enterprise (June 23, 1888) 1-10-1941 PE 1:7
few 1888 firms still in existence in Arlington Heights: Mors Bakery, F. W. Muller Sons, Hartmann’s Shoe Store, Klehm’s Nurseries, White Barber Shop 7-21-1944 5:5, 7-28-1944 1:7
granddaddy of suburban libraries: Arlington Heights Memorial Library was formed in 1888, 9-13-1962 AHH 97:1
Al Volz remembers presidential campaign of 1888: issues were protective tariff and free silver; candidates were Benjamin Harrison and Grover Cleveland 8-9-1968 RR 1:1
1889 A.D.
Arlington Heights Brass Band mentioned in 1889, 6-30-1950 17:1
description of Arlington Heights board minutes from 1889 to 1902, 6-30-1950 17:1
first road in Arlington Heights gravelled in 1889: Campbell Street 6-30-1950 17:1
Koerber was blacksmith at 13 West Davis Street, Arlington Heights from 1889 to 1898, 3-24-1966 AHH 8:4
Ray Plote adds 1889 thresher to his collection of old cars and trucks, photograph 3-31-1966 HH 6:6
1890 A.D.
Wood Street School PTA play High Steppers of 1890, 10-5-1934 PE 1:4
copy of Chicago Inter Ocean found dated September 2, 1890, 7-19-1940 CCH 1:1
Gas House gang of 1890, photograph of Arlington Heights Redwings 1-7-1949 15:1
1890 school law would have forced children to transfer from church schools to public schools; later repealed 2-11-1949 17:5
Schaumburg House: hotel, general store, dance hall, postoffice; history, photograph from 1890, 10-14-1949 17:1
Palatine Volunteer Fire Dept. pumper of 1890 given to village, photograph 1-3-1957 PE 1:2
first telephone in Roselle installed in 1890, photograph of building 3-7-1957 RR 1:5
1890 gown, photograph 10-5-1961 BR 1:2
Schaumburg Township Fire Dept. organized as a volunteer group in 1890, 4-7-1966 SH 4:7
1890 C&NW RR timetable mentioned; railroad stations, photographs 9-20-1967 AHH 12:1
Elk Grove Township agreed in 1890 that anyone who would drive a stray animal to the pound would be rewarded 9-20-1967 AHH 46:2
1890’s A.D.
fire at Huffman Mill, Itasca (1890’s) 8-3-1934 RR 1:8
Mike Oefelein, Arlington Heights: old time dance programs tell story of ‘rug cutting’ in 1890’s at 50 cents a couple 1-23-1948 13:1
William Thieman operated a saloon in Roselle more than fifty years ago, photograph 7-15-1949 17:2
Palatine football team in 1890’s, photograph 7-7-1955 PE 21:2
Long Grove passes Historic Landmark Ordinance to perpetuate architectural atmosphere of rural northern Illinois village prior to 1890, 7-19-1962 WH 4:6
Cong. John Erlenborn explains Democratic Party dominance since 1890’s over Republican Party 12-1-1966 AR 6:1
1891 A.D.
1891 aerial photograph of first park at Arlington Heights railway station 8-12-1938 1:1
by 1891 Americans of German descent took over Arlington Heights village affairs from the Yankees 7-29-1949 17:3
drainage and sewage discussed in Arlington Heights in 1891, 6-30-1950 17:2
Arlington Heights village hall was on second floor Meyer’s Hall from 1891 to 1892, 12-6-1962 AHH 1:8, 11-18-1965 AHH 9:1
Bartlett incorporated in 1891, 3-7-1963 AHH 19:3
1892 A.D.
thirteen Civil War veterans from Arlington Heights still living in 1892, 5-30-1924 4:3
Arlington Heights depot was built in 1892, 9-24-1926 5:3
H. F. Battermann’s flax mill destroyed by fire; 1892 news clipping from Palatine Enterprise 1-25-1927 1:1
Lutheran Home and Service for the Aged, Arlington Heights, may move to Addison; in Arlington since 1892, 9-19-1941 1:8
recall black silk wedding dress fifty years ago, photograph 11-13-1942 6:4
DuPage County hunts owners of lots bought in 1892 boom 4-14-1944 RR 1:3
H. C. Paddock established Libertyville Independent in 1892, 12-17-1948 23:1
George Bugbee purchased Cook County Herald from W. C. Williams in 1892, 12-24-1948 17:3
Gustav Arps in charge of Palatine depot from 1892 to 1918; John Arps, Palatine, received $40 a month working 12 hours a day as telegraph operator; started in 1892, 2-18-1949 12:4
Schaumburg Township celebrates Columbus Day with parade, photograph of October 12, 1892, 3-4-1949 17:1
photograph of Herman Bartels and John Rohlwing in 1892, 3-4-1949 17:1
C&NW RR built a double track and the present depot in Arlington Heights in 1892, 4-22-1949 17:3
Davis Street, Arlington Heights, opened up in 1892, 6-30-1950 17:3
stench of malt remembered; shipped in railroad cars as feed for livestock; Arlington Heights village ordered it cleaned up in 1892, 6-30-1950 17:3
Australian ballot system (secret ballots) used in Wheeling Township for the first time in 1892, 8-4-1950 15:2
Myra Colby Bradwell was first woman attorney-at-law of Illinois (1892) 7-7-1955 PE 23:3
Itasca Public School built in 1892, photograph 6-30-1960 AR 2:3
1893 A.D.
story of panic days of 1893, 7-14-1911 10:3
Milwaukee Avenue railroad born 35 years ago 4-24-1928 5:4
items reprinted from issue of Palatine Independent dated (May 20, 1893) 5-4-1928 PE 2:3
Gov. John Altgeld in 1893 pardoned three anarchists convicted in Haymarket riot 7-3-1968 RR 7:1
Grant Schmalgamier Jr., to display collection of souvenirs from 1893 Columbian Exposition 9-8-1968 RR 9:1
1894 A.D.
list of Arlington Heights’ fire alarms 1894-1914, 10-16-1914 8:3
Bensenville Volunteer Fire Dept. thirty-five years old 7-5-1929 DCR 1:4
“prices were a whole lot lower back in 1894″: Henry Gaare, Palatine 11-25-1932 1:4
Arlington Heights Volunteer Fire Dept. started 40 years ago 10-12-1934 1:6, photograph 8-21-1968 AHH 2:1
William Brockway, Palatine, broke leg in 1894, 2-18-1949 12:4
Wheeling incorporated June 19, 1894, 8-5-1949 17:3, 8-14-1969 AHH 34:1, 8-14-1969 AHH 34:1
Conrad Niedert remembers Wood Street School, Palatine, 56 years ago 2-3-1950 17:1
8th grade graduates of Wood Street School, Palatine, had heavy subjects 56 years ago; facsimile of graduation program 2-3-1950 17:1, 7-7-1955 PE 28:2
reprint of Union Book and Novelty Co., Palatine, gold watch certificate from February 17, 1894, 6-16-1950 17:1
1894 Battermann fire resulted in determination of Palatine people to have a city water system”€the first northwest of Chicago 3-25-1954 AHH 20:3
Mary Patten, graduate of 1894, recalls early Palatine schools 7-7-1955 PE 9:1, reprinted 6-30-1966 AHH 107:1
Sherman Pate owned Arlington Elevator and Coal Company from 1894 to 1916, 5-5-1966 AHH 4:3
Palatine railroad depot in 1894, photograph 6-30-1966 AHH 99:6
Gov. John Altgeld refused to send state militia to quell Pullman strike 2-4-1968 S 30:3
description of Wheeling village ordinances from 1894, 9-16-1969 EGH 2:3
Lake Bluff Children’s Home has been ministering to children and families since 1894, 1-15-1970 BR 8:3
1895 A.D.
record of 1895 meeting at First Methodist Church, Palatine 11-30-1928 PE 3:4
Palatine’s best football team played in bone-crushing 90’s, 1895 photograph of team 10-5-1934 5:4
Mrs. Albert G. Smith finds 1895 poster 8-16-1940 PE 1:7
George Volz was high school graduate 50 years ago, photograph 6-8-1945 1:7, 6-17-1949 17:2
H. C. Paddock lost everything in midnight fire at Libertyville in 1895, 12-17-1948 23:2
horse power threshing of sixty years ago supplanted in 1895 by cooperatively owned steam outfit on Linnemann farm, photographs 1-14-1949 17:1
Mrs. Herman Garms furnishes Arlington Heights Woman’s Club programs dating from 1895 to Mrs. Milton Daniels, historian 2-25-1949 6:5
Diamond Sewing Machine Company, Arlington Heights destroyed by fire in 1895, 5-6-1949 17:1, 3-24-1966 AHH 12:5, 5-12-1966 AHH 1:4
back in the days when football WAS football: William Smyser teams of 1895-1900 remembered 1-6-1950 9:4
German-American ‘controversy’ led to accidental shooting and death of Columbia Hotel, Wheeling, proprietor Christopher Utz in 1895 by Pfiffer 1-6-1950 CCH 1:1, 1-13-1950 17:1
Chicago-Milwaukee auto races along Milwaukee Avenue in 1895 remembered 1-6-1950 CCH 1:2
directory of members of First Methodist Church, Palatine Sunday School found from December 30, 1895, 2-24-1950 21:1
Carl Moeller revives memories of Wheeling Volunteer Fire Department by pumping an 1895 style fire rig, photograph 1-19-1961 WH 1:4
name changed from Lester’s Station to Wooddale in 1895 when post office established 4-21-1968 RR 5:6
from 1895 structure, First Methodist Church, Palatine, grows again–third major addition under construction 11-27-1968 PE 2:2
1896 A.D.
Palatine Athletic Club football team of 26 years ago remembered 7-7-1922 14:5
Wheeling village marshall responsible in 1896 for lamplighting, street work, fire apparatus cleaning and dog tax collection 10-4-1940 9:5
H. C. Paddock taught at Weidner School in 1896, 12-17-1948 23:1
School District No. 57, Elk Grove Township was formed in 1896, 7-22-1949 MPH 1:1
how firemen fought fires by hand fifty-five years ago, photographs 11-23-1951 AHH 7:1
H. H. Botterman & Co., Roselle: advertisement: going out of business sale; “fine foods since 1896″ 6-13-1963 BR 16:1
1896 Hanover-Wayne Fire Protection District fire pumper rusty but valuable 7-22-1965 HH 7:5; fire marshall Elmer Hecht works on 1896 pumper, photograph 7-29-1965 HH 3:1
1896 architect of 60×40 foot attic and tower of Bray-Whipple home, Arlington Heights, thanked 11-10-1966 AHH 88:1
Dr. John Best, Arlington Heights, constructed home, photograph 12-23-1969 AHH 1:3
1897 A.D.
Henry Wildhagen, Palatine, wills 1897 Olds to Museum of Science and Industry 4-11-1947 3:3
facsimile of 1897 Des Plaines advertising showing type faces that have gone out of existence 3-23-1951 17:1
history: Des Plaines business district 54 years ago 3-23-1951 17:1
E. A. Manuel operated a livery stable in Des Plaines in 1897, 3-23-1951 17:1
first houses in Mount Prospect erected 70 years ago, photograph 9-20-1967 AHH 30:4
Arlington Creamery founded in 1897, 8-21-1968 AHH 2:1
Chicago Telephone Co. service came to Arlington Heights in 1897, 8-21-1968 AHH 2:1
first Wheeling village hall erected in 1897, 8-14-1969 AHH 41:2
1898 A.D.
Aloysius Becker, Wheeling, letter describes tour of duty on the Logan during the Philippine-American War 7-20-1901 4:2, reprint 1-13-1950 17:3
summary of news from copy of Palatine Enterprise dated May 14, 1898, 5-16-1924 7:5
Henry Wildhagen, Palatine, displays 1898 Oldsmobile at Cook County Fair 9-7-1928 1:5
Roselle Park dance pavilion built in 1898, 11-6-1942 PE 1:5
inside dope on Arlington politics 45 years ago 8-20-1943 1:5
veteran Arlington Heights barber, Frank White, tells of fire-fighting of fifty years ago; firemen fought blazes with hand pumper, buckets, photographs 8-6-1948 15:6
H. C. Paddock, pioneer editor made a start in Palatine December 15, 1898, photographs 12-17-1948 23:1, 3-12-1969 PE 1:8
53 years ago threshing was a co-operative project, photograph 12-14-1951 AHH 17:6
Julius Flentie, Arlington Heights first phone operator recalls his part in flashing news of Admiral George Dewey’s victory 52 years ago in Spanish-American War 5-4-1951
Henry Geils, Itasca, creamery and cheese factory, 1898 photograph 5-6-1965 IR 1:4
St. Mary Catholic Church, Buffalo Grove: present church built in 1898, 3-17-1969 WH 3:1, 8-14-1969 AHH 56:2
1899 A.D.
Rev. Francis De Lange founded a training school for missionaries: St. Mary’s Mission House, Techny 25 years ago 2-8-1924 17:5
news from copy of Cook County Herald dated September 23, 1899, 9-26-1924 14:3
1899 murder of Fred Filbert in Palatine Bank of C. H. Patten robbery recalled 7-5-1946 PE 1:5
H. C. Paddock purchased Cook County Herald from George Bugbee in 1899, 12-24-1948 17:2, 7-7-1955 PE 1:1
Paddock took over Palatine Herald in 1899, 3-18-1949 (2) 17:2
purchase of farm equipment at Schoppe Brothers farm in 1899 mentioned 6-24-1949 17:3
CM&SP RR train wreck remembered from fifty years ago; 25 cars jumped the tracks at Roselle 7-22-1949 17:3
William A. Meyer and wife, Arlington Heights, recall wedding of 50 years ago, photograph 9-2-1949 6:3
Stuart Paddock guest at Hunnerberg Hotel, Palatine, in December, 1899, 9-9-1949 17:2
Northwest Highway just a wagon lane fifty years ago; Meyns build first home, photograph 11-11-1949 17:1
Arlington Heights Military Band of fifty years ago was important in community doings, photographs 11-18-1949 17:1
18 voters asked Wheeling Township in 1899 to build a bridge over the Des Plaines River at Central Road 8-4-1950 15:3
Immanuel Lutheran Church, Bartlett to move from factory to new building at 1116 East Devon Avenue, Bartlett; original church in Ontarioville, built in 1899, was too small 6-20-1963 HH 3:1
1900 A.D.
history of Wheeling Township quoted from account written in 1900 by Mr. and Mrs. James Ellison Best which appears in The Historical Encyclopedia of Illinois, Vol. II, page 796, 6-30-1933 1:4
Thiemann Hotel, Bensenville, photograph from 1900, 2-25-1949 17:2
Wheeling population in 1900 was 331; today about 900, 8-5-1949 17:3
first Bensenville phone operator, Mrs. Martha Hornbostel, started in 1900; 8 subscribers 10-14-1949 RR 1:1
Carol Bellmore visits Wheeling business district of 1900, 1-6-1950 CCH 1:1
newspaper files tell story of life in 1900, 1-6-1950 PE 1:4
South State Road gravelled in 1900, 6-30-1950 17:1
Richmond Creamery, Palatine: “where 50 years ago we could get eight gallons of milk for 68 cents” 10-6-1950 40:4
snowstorm 65 years ago remains state’s worst 2-18-1965 29:5
Prairie Farmer Book published at the turn of the century 2-10-1966 EGH 1:3
Shoe Factory Road was named after shoe factory located on Congden Avenue (formerly known as Shoe Factory Road) in Elgin at the turn of the century 3-24-1966 AHH 12:5
Winslow Churchill cabin, still standing at the turn of the century, was on a knoll which now bears a marker 1-5-1968 RR 2:3

Comments are closed.