Author Archives: David Hammer
In the late 1960’s developers dreamed up several projects that never got off their desks: Elmer Gleich had no success getting the Village of Palatine to approve his plan for apartments called Darien Fields at the northwest corner of Hicks … Continue reading
The Fireman’s Memorial at Brockway Street and Slade Street was formerly occupied by the massive three story Battermann’s Brick Block. One of the little stores in the Brick Block was a market run by C. S. Steere. He sold meats, … Continue reading
Just south of the old State Bank of Palatine building at the southwest corner of Slade Street and Bothwell Street lies a parking lot…the former site of the Palatine Theatre. It was formerly known as Seip’s Auditorium. The front consists … Continue reading
Mary Jane was born in Oneida County, New York, daughter of Ezekiel & Adaline Cady. The family came to Deer Grove in 1837 where they owned a farm. In 1856, she married Homer Galpin. He was born in Massachusetts. He … Continue reading
Mary Meissner was the daughter of William and Mary Meissner who had a farm at Quentin & Baldwin Roads. She married Henry Wittenberg whose family had a farm at Quentin near Palatine Road. After their marriage they lived on the … Continue reading
Thomas Falls Wilson was born in Ireland in 1810, the son of Andrew Wilson and Jane Falls. The Wilson family came to the U. S. by 1820 and settled in Schenectady, New York. They had twelve children. Thomas came to … Continue reading
Henry Wolff owned the Clayson House from 1905 to 1945.
Heinrich Thies descendants enjoyed a huge reunion on the old homestead in Plum Grove in 1923. Minnie Thies and her husband had eleven children. They lived in Plum Grove. She died in 1896.