Organizations & Political Parties
The American Legion was organized in 1920. In 1922 with the help of the Auxiliary it bought the site where it currently resides at Palatine Road and Greeley Street. By 1948 the groups had enough money to erect a buildingat that site. Keeping patriotism alive and honoring our war heroes has been a consistent theme with members.
The Palatine Masonic Lodge was organized in 1859 and met on the third floor of what is now the Lamplighter Grill and Tavern. The fraternal organization built its own building in 1904 at the northeast corner of Palatine and Plum Grove Rds. In 2010 the building was razed and they moved to the old firehouse at 455 W. Dundee Rd.
The Palatine Area Chamber of Commerce was organized in 1949. The local chapter helps members build relationships, generate leads, publicize their businesses and become sound corporate citizens.
The Palatine Jaycees were organized in 1956. The group is involved in many community service projects. It began selling Christmas trees to raise funds in 1960. The Jaycees helped restore the siding and roof of the Clayson House in the 1970s.
The Palatine Kiwanis Club was formed in 1960. It’s motto is “Working together to serve the youth of the town of Palatine”. The organization creates opportunities for children to be curious, safe and healthy. It raises funds with its annual “Peanut Day”.
The Ku Klux Klan arrived in Palatine almost a hundred years ago. In 1923 a Chicagoan named J. W. Wakem invited his city friends to drive out to the farm he owned at the northwest corner of Palatine Road and Roselle Road for a Klan rally. Because roads were not well-marked in those days, Mr. Wakem had men with white flags stationed all along the route. The Herald covered the story and said that the fiery cross was much in evidence.
The Palatine Lions Club was established in 1925 as a community organization dedicated to helping those less fortunate. The club has taken special interest in those who are blind and deaf and coordinates its activities around helping these individuals.
Palatine had a chapter of this organization in the early 1900’s. Although primarily devoted to providing its members with insurance, the group had elaborate initiation rituals.
The Rotary Club of Palatine was formed in 1963 to take action on the world’s most persistent issues. It does that by connecting passionate people with diverse perspectives to exchange ideas, forge lifelong friendships and take action to change the world.
Palatine Democratic Club (1912)
Palatine Progressive Club (1912)
Palatine Township Republican Organization (1912)
Palatine Independent Party (1930)
Palatine Township Young Democrats (1938)
Palatine Township Democratic Organization (1940)
Palatine Progressive Party (1947)
Palatine Citizens Ticket (1949)
Palatine Independent Voters Ticket (1949)
Palatine Taxpayers Party (1949)
Palatine Township People’s Party (1949)
Palatine Good Government Party (1957)
Palatine Township Conservative Party (1957)
Palatine Continued Good Government Party (1959)
Palatine People’s Economy Party (1959)
Palatine Community Party (1961)
Palatine Economy Party (1961)
Palatine Township Non-Partisan Party (1961)
Palatine Township Regular Republican Women’s Club (1961)
Palatine Township Young Republicans (1961)
Palatine United Citizens Party (1961)
Township of Palatine, Principled, Energized, Republicans (TOPPER) (1961)
Palatine Civic Betterment Party (1963)
Palatine Civic Action Party (1965)
Palatine Township Better Government Party (1965)
Palatine Township Independent Democrats Club (1965)
Palatine Township Independent Party (1966)
Palatine Area Citizens for Enlightened Majorities (1969)
Village Independent Party, Palatine (1973)