1986: Northwest of Gilbert and Quentin Rds.
The Arlington Crest Subdivision northwest of Northwest Hwy. and Wilke Rd. was built in 1939 on Wilke Farm. Homeowners almost immediately began suffering drainage problems. They also had to fight battles with neighboring municipalities. Arlington Heights tried to place a garbage dump just to the north. Rolling Meadows lost its effort to annex the subdivision. Homeowners finally consented to annex to Palatine in 1960. It took some years for the village to persuade residents to shoulder assessments for sewer and water connections.
1999: northeast of Plum Grove Rd. and Illinois Ave.
The Northwest Tollway in 1958 and Route 53 in 1963 brought tremendous growth and development to the suburbs. Both had been in the planning stages for many decades. To raise the roadbed over other roads, fill was excavated creating a number of artificial lakes. Route 53 ran right through a subdivision just north of Northwest Highway. Pretty little Bluebell Estates was only seven years old when its houses had to be moved to Leonard Road. The planned extension of Route 53 north of Lake Cook Road has for years been a battleground between the State of Illinois and the Village of Long Grove. The expressway would split the bucolic village in two.
Joseph K. Anderson Subdivision
1966: Plum Grove and East Glade Rds.