In 1869, eleven families met at the train depot to discuss the formation of a Lutheran congregation. Before that a minister from Schaumburg Township held services every other Sunday at the Masonic building at Wilson & Bothwell. A week later the membership was formally organized. Four acres were purchased on Greeley Street including the cemetery. The cemetery was formally dedicated and plans progressed for a church building on that site. Lack of funds held up the building of the church and eventually the land was sold to H. C. Batterman. With that money, a church building formerly used by the Disciple Church was bought on Plum Grove Road. A parsonage was built to the north of the church. In 1873, the congregation joined the Evangelical Lutheran Synod of Missouri. Services were held in German until after the turn of the century when English services were held once a month. Since 1943, all services are in English. The present church building was dedicated in 1970 and additions have since been built.