This is the present church of St. John’s built in 1885. It was the third building on these grounds. The first was built in 1846, replaced in 1876, burned down and rebuilt in 1885. In 1957 the name of the church became St. John United Church of Christ, a denomination formed from the merger of two church groups. Directly east of the church are early burials. Many early German settlers are buried here. East of the parsonage is the newest section of the cemetery called Mount Hope. Three acres of land west of the church were purchased and in 1969 St. John Garden Chapel was dedicated.